>Hi Guys,

>I'm in the process of learning Java and I will like to know what is the cost
associated with the editor and its >compiler.  Also, I will like to know if the
editor & compiler is currently on any AS/400 release.

>Thank you.

-------

Hi Oludare!

Since V4R2, the Java compiler has been included in base OS/400.  There is no
editor; you use SEU to edit a text file, copy it to the IFS and compile using
the QShell interpreter.  It is far different than any other compilation cycle
you've ever seen.  More information is available at
http://www.news400.com/jes/May-Jun98/Seven/Seven.html.

The good news is that you can do your development on the workstation and then
port your code (even you COMPILED code) up to the AS/400 via FTP.   Very simple
stuff.

The cost on the workstation is anywhere from FREE to thousands of dollars,
depending on your needs.  The basic Java language (including compiler and
documentation) is free from Sun Microsystems.  You can use any text editor to
edit your Java source code, then use the basic Java commands to compile and
debug your applications.  However, most people use an IDE (Intergrated
Development Environment) to write their code.  There are some relatively good
free IDEs, some that cost only a few dollars, and some that are incredibly
expensive.  A good list of available IDEs is located at
http://javaboutique.internet.com/javaides.html.

Hope this helps.

Joe "Zappie" Pluta
Moderator