  • Subject: Fwd: ----The InfoWorld Scoop [Tuesday - 05/18/99]
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 17:51:55 EDT

Java in the news again...Dean

THE INFOWORLD SCOOP                Tuesday, May 18, 1999
    Your link to news, reviews, features, and forums

Advertising Sponsor-------------------------------------
MERANT Micro Focus
IT'S PAYBACK TIME.
Introducing Micro Focus Net Express,
the shortest distance between your legacy system and
e-business. Micro Focus Net Express takes your
core business applications written in COBOL and extends
them to the Web. Fast. Net Express also simplifies the
process of rehosting existing COBOL applications onto
Windows NT and UNIX platforms.  Net Express is probably
the fastest ROI you'll ever get out of your mainframe.
Click here for a FREE DEMO CD:
http://www.merant.com/infoworld/

TOP NEWS STORIES

*  Vendors unite on testing, certification for Java developers
*  CA to beef up security applications with VPN, PKI
*  Sun forms software, network service provider units
*  Communicator 4.6 debuts with 56-bit encryption support

Scroll down for more on these articles

REVIEWS

* Linux head-to-head:
OpenLinux 2.2 vs. Red Hat 6.0
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/sc?990518rv1

* Test Center Action Plan:
How to choose the right migration path to Oracle8i
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/sc?990518rv2

INTERVIEWS

* Stewart R. Patterson
SpeechWorks CEO explores the potentials of
speech-recognition technology.
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/sc?990518iv1

* Daniel Berg
Cyrus Intersoft CTO leverages Java.
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/sc?990518iv2

FEATURES

* Portal power
Corporate portals help information distribution.
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/sc?990518ft1

* Call in the troops
An in-depth look at outsourcing
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/sc?990518ft2

FORUMS

* MS Bell
Is the mother of all monopolies re-forming in front of
our eyes?
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/sc?990518fm1

* The Mac is back
But will Apple regain its former business market?
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/sc?990518fm2

                    TOP NEWS STORIES

VENDORS UNITE ON TESTING, CERTIFICATION FOR JAVA DEVELOPERS

As expected, a group of IT vendor heavyweights on
Monday officially announced "Jedi," a testing and
certification program for Java developers intended to
provide a standard set of requirements to become
certified in the popular programming language.

"Jedi," a testing and certification program for Java
developers intended to provide a standard set

For the full story:
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/sc?990518nw1

CA TO BEEF UP SECURITY APPLICATIONS WITH VPN, PKI

Computer Associates (CA) plans to continue expanding its
security application offerings with the addition of
Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Public Key
Infrastructure (PKI) technology to work with CA's
Unicenter TNG management software.

Both the VPN and PKI applications will also operate as
separate applications from the Unicenter platform,
according to CA officials.

For the full story:
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/sc?990518nw2

SUN FORMS SOFTWARE, NETWORK SERVICE PROVIDER UNITS

Sun Microsystems on Monday announced that it is
combining its Java, Solaris, and consumer and embedded
software operations into a Software Products and
Platforms division, and creating a new Network Service
Provider division.

The moves, effective July 1, are calculated to leverage
Sun's "growing emphasis on software and the emerging
service provider market," according to a company
statement.

For the full story:
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/sc?990518nw3

COMMUNICATOR 4.6 DEBUTS WITH 56-BIT ENCRYPTION SUPPORT

Netscape on Monday made the latest version of its
Communicator browser, Version 4.6, available to
download from its Web site.

New enhancements to Communicator 4.6 include 56-bit
encryption algorithm support, increased digital
certificate management, connections to Netscape's Open
Directory technology, a smart-browsing feature for
finding local information, and a copy of Real Networks
G2 player incorporated into the browser for viewing
videos or listing to audio content.

For the full story:
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/sc?990518nw4
There they can just register for InfoWorld Electric, or
fill out an application for InfoWorld in print, which also
registers them for Electric.  By  filling out either form,
they'll get the newsletter each week and have full
access to the Web site, including posting to Forums
and Archives.

UNSUBSCRIBE
If you want to unsubscribe from The InfoWorld Scoop,
go to http://www.iwsubscribe.com/UnsubscribeNews.htm

CHANGE E-MAIL
If you want to change the e-mail address where you are
receiving the InfoWorld Scoop, go to
http://www.iwsubscribe.com/emailaddresschange.htm

Register now with www.infojobs.com, a new online
career service for the Information Technology
Professional. With InfoJobs you will receive career
opportunities via email notifying you about new
positions that match your qualifications from major
corporations around the country. Don't miss this
opportunity. Your next career is a click away.
http://www.infojobs.com.

Advertising Sponsor-------------------------------------
MERANT Micro Focus
IT'S PAYBACK TIME.
Introducing Micro Focus Net Express,
the shortest distance between your legacy system and
e-business. Micro Focus Net Express takes your
core business applications written in COBOL and extends
them to the Web. Fast. Net Express also simplifies the
process of rehosting existing COBOL applications onto
Windows NT and UNIX platforms.  Net Express is probably
the fastest ROI you'll ever get out of your mainframe.
Click here for a FREE DEMO CD:
http://www.merant.com/infoworld/

Copyright 1999 InfoWorld Media Group Inc