  • Subject: RE: SQL vs "native" I/O performance
  • From: "Nelson, Jim (RCIS)" <Jim.Nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 10:31:04 -0500

I'm getting off topic here (or maybe not) but here goes.

We have a VB application that connects either to the AS/400 or a SQLAnywhere
database (using ODBC) depending on the type of user.  The database is pretty
normalized and most of our SQL is in stored procedures.  About 150 tables,
triggers on about 1/3 of them.  Two complaints:

Major complaint:

Every OS upgrade, starting with 4.0 to 4.1 has blown up on us.  SQL
performance goes in the toilet.  After many calls to Rochester, having them
monitor our system, send service job output, actually giving them our tables
and stored procedures, etc. they think they know what happened.  Next is
several rounds of ptf's,  and other 'tweaks' to the system (Data area
QQQOPTIONS apparently did not do much in release 4.1, killed us in 4.2) and
so on.  Eventually (after 1-3 weeks of bad performance) we are up and
running again.

We just purchased a new 'mixed mode' server to consolidate our production
environments.  It came with 4.3 loaded...  and performance went in the
toilet.  Same story.  Escalate to CritSit, daily discussions, sit-downs with
technical folks,  and eventually they think they know the problem.  Several
ptf's, (and a new ODBC DLL) later, and we are up and running.  This time it
was months, not weeks.

IBM says this is not typical, but it has become the norm for us.  Do any of
you have these problems?

Minor complaint

SELECT * FROM BIGTABLE, LITTLETABLE
  WHERE BIGTABLE_KEY = LITTLTABLE_KEY

performs much differently on the AS/400 than

SELECT * FROM LITTLETABLE , BIGTABLE
  WHERE LITTLETABLE_KEY = BIGTABLE_KEY

(oversimplified example)
Other databases appear to perform them equally well.

We are forced to go through all of our SQL, both embedded and stored
procedures, re-structuring for performance.

Bottom line on both issues is that it appears to be taking IBM a long time
to 'ramp up'.  Will we see the same learning curve on Java (getting back on
topic)?

End of rant.
Thanks, JN

PS  Mr Conte, I remember that article and it was very informative.  In fact,
I used it to help sell management on using the AS/400 as the server, not
just the repository and back-end processor.