  • Subject: Fwd: ----The InfoWorld Scoop [YEAR 2000 EDITION - 05/05/99]
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 13:51:16 EDT

Don't know who else gets this, so I thought I'd forward this interesting
tidbit...Dean

In a message dated 5/5/99 1:38:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, admin@idgsrv.com
writes:

> IBM READIES EMBEDDED JAVA DEVELOPMENT TOOL
>
>  Looking to put its stamp on the emerging embedded Java
>  market, IBM Tuesday launched the beta test program of
>  its VisualAge for Embedded Systems, Java Technology
>  Edition.
>
>  As reported earlier, IBM this year will roll out a
>  series of tools to allow application developers to
>  target embedded systems and small form-factor devices.
>
>  For the full story:
>  http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/scx?990505nw2

THE INFOWORLD SCOOP                    YEAR 2000 EDITION
                 Wednesday, May 5, 1999

Advertising Sponsor-------------------------------------
Hewlett-Packard
ONE-BUTTON DISASTER RECOVERY!
When a virus, hard disk failure, or data corruption
strikes, restore your NOS, system configuration,
applications, and data files at the touch of a button.
Say good-bye to complicated, software-based recovery
procedures; HP now lets you restore your server with
the most recent backup cartridge. Find out more.
Go to http://www.hp.com/tape/papers/obdr_ov.html

TOP NEWS STORIES

* Sun and Netscape to detail service provider strategy
* IBM readies embedded Java development tool
* Business Objects gives WebIntelligence a new view
* EC ends inquiries into European telecom pricing

Scroll down for more on these articles

FOCUS ON YEAR 2000

Features
* Mentor's Corner: ADP's Y2K plan checks out thanks to
partner input
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/scx?9905052k1

* Mentors Corner: ADP takes the long view on year-2000
remediation
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/scx?9905052k2

* Year-2000 chaos is forecast by doomsayers, alarmists,
and even some IT people
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/scx?9905052k3

News
* Three industries claim successful drills for Y2K
compliance
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/scx?9905052k4

* Securities companies conduct successful Y2K trading test
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/scx?9905052k5

COLUMNS

* Bob Metcalfe
How not to get the domain name you want
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/scx?990505op1

* Maggie Biggs
The gulf between business app and open-source
developers
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/scx?990505op2

* Security Watch
Hackers don't always need tech savvy for access.
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/scx?990505op3

ELSEWHERE ON ELECTRIC

* Mentor's Corner
ADP tests Y2K-readiness with partners.
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/scx?990505ew1

* HotSites Extra
Iomega's eye-popping I-commerce site
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/scx?990505ew2

* Book Review
Book Reviews
---------------
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/scx?990505ew3

TOP NEWS STORIES

SUN AND NETSCAPE TO DETAIL SERVICE PROVIDER STRATEGY

The Sun-Netscape Alliance on Wednesday will unveil its
strategy for equipping service providers with highly
reliable products which, in turn, allow them to offer
better services to their customers.

The first collaboratively developed products to come
out of the Alliance will be announced on Wednesday, and
are the Sun Internet Mail Server (SIMS) 4.0 and the
Netscape Messaging Server 4.1 software. While the
products are still being sold under their own
respective brands, both releases are focused on low
cost and high reliability and scalability, in line with
the aims of the alliance.

For the full story:
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/scx?990505nw1

IBM READIES EMBEDDED JAVA DEVELOPMENT TOOL

Looking to put its stamp on the emerging embedded Java
market, IBM Tuesday launched the beta test program of
its VisualAge for Embedded Systems, Java Technology
Edition.

As reported earlier, IBM this year will roll out a
series of tools to allow application developers to
target embedded systems and small form-factor devices.

For the full story:
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/scx?990505nw2

BUSINESS OBJECTS GIVES WEBINTELLIGENCE A NEW VIEW

Touting its capability to provide a single point of
entry for viewing business intelligence, Business
Objects this week will roll out the next generation of
its enterprise query, reporting, and online analytical
processing tool, WebIntelligence 2.5.

The key addition to WebIntelligence 2.5, according to
Ceferino Lamb, senior product marketing manager at
Business Objects, is a business intelligence portal
called Infoview. The Infoview module provides a
searchable report catalog that includes Web report
viewers, and can be used with WebIntelligence or the
company's full client reporting tool, Business Objects.

For the full story:
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/scx?990505nw3

EC ENDS INQUIRIES INTO EUROPEAN TELECOM PRICING

Following price reductions of as much as 80 percent over
the past 14 months, the European Commission (EC) has
decided to close investigations into abusive fees
charged by telecom operators for linking mobile to
fixed telephony networks and vice versa, the EC
announced Tuesday.

 But the EC also warned that it will now focus on the
behavior of operators, especially regarding roaming
agreements between mobile operators.

For the full story:
http://www.infoworld.com/scoop/scx?990505nw4
There they can just register for InfoWorld Electric, or
fill out an application for InfoWorld in print, which
also registers them for Electric.  By  filling out
either form,they'll get the newsletter each week and
have full access to the Web site, including posting to
Forums and Archives.

UNSUBSCRIBE
If you want to unsubscribe from The InfoWorld Scoop,
go to http://www.iwsubscribe.com/UnsubscribeNews.htm

CHANGE E-MAIL
If you want to change the e-mail address where you are
receiving the InfoWorld Scoop, go to
http://www.iwsubscribe.com/emailaddresschange.htm

InfoWorld Consulting Services knows the products and
solutions you choose for your company have to stand up
to real world performance, compatibility requirements -
and deliver bottom-line ROI. We deliver objective,
comprehensive evaluations of all the options, and the
best solutions for the real world - yours.
http://www.infoworld.com/consulting/?scp

Advertising Sponsor-------------------------------------
Hewlett-Packard
ONE-BUTTON DISASTER RECOVERY!
When a virus, hard disk failure, or data corruption
strikes, restore your NOS, system configuration,
applications, and data files at the touch of a button.
Say good-bye to complicated, software-based recovery
procedures; HP now lets you restore your server with
the most recent backup cartridge. Find out more.
Go to http://www.hp.com/tape/papers/obdr_ov.html

Copyright 1999 InfoWorld Media Group Inc