  • Subject: Re: Loading JDBC Drivers onto the AS/400
  • From: dawall@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:53:20 -0600

Yes, the Toolbox will work in this type of environment.  There are three
major considerations:

1. Security -- by default data flows in the clear (passwords are always
encrypted).  In v4r4 we added SSL support so we do have the option to
encrypt data, but that is only when using v4r4 Toolbox to a v4r4 AS/400.

2. Security -- we use sockets to get to the server so you must allow the
sockets we use through your firewall.  We do not use the http/ftp ports, we
use use our own ports.  You can see/change the ports we use with AS/400
command wrksrvtble.
3. Size -- If you are thinking of doing an applet and if you are going to
download the applet from the AS/400, the size of the toolbox is an
important consideration.  Okay, I am being kind.  Today the Toolbox is too
big to download over normal internet connections.  We are doing some things
to fix this problem.  For one, we have a utility called JarMaker.  You give
it the functions you want to use and it throws every thing else out of the
jar file.  Even this doesn't go far enough in many cases so we are still
working on this problem.  A couple alternatives today are using servlets
instead of applets, and, if you own the client, you can ship the Toolbox
jar to the client is it doesn't have to be downloaded every time.

I hope this helps,

David Wall
553-5329
AS/400 Toolbox for Java

>>David,
>>A little off subject.....
>>Do you feel that the Toolbox is suitable for the situation where the
client and
>>server are physically remote and are connected over the Internet?  Can I
use the
>>Java Toolbox on my client in Seattle to connect to an AS/400 in New York?
Has