  • Subject: RE: Java questions
  • From: "Alex Moore" <alexm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 21:51:08 -0500

Ken,

I'm right down the road from you.  We also have Domino running natively at
V4R3 on one of our AS/400's.  I use the VA Java Enterprise 2.0.  I have not
had the opportunity to learn much about Java so far.  I think that the
re-engineering of legacy RPG applications to a client server model, using
Java on the front end, is a critical priority for my environment.  There is
too much value in our legacy applications to "throw it away" and too little
value in our "dumb" green screens to keep them.  I have shipped an
application off to CST, for them to run through their Jacada product.  It
will theoretically automate the migration of the user interface in a legacy
application to Java.  Advanced Business Link has a similar product.  IBM has
a redbook that describes the concept in some detail, but does not attempt to
automate the process much.  Ask me in a year if I'm flipping burgers or
suffering from a caffeine problem ;)