  • Subject: Re: does anyone post to this list?
  • From: Gary L Peskin <garyp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 10:38:45 -0700

A while back (~May), I contacted both VisiBroker (now Inprise) and Orbix
regarding the availability of their ORBs on the /400.  Both were
extremely evasive.  They indicated that they had ORBs that ran or would
soon run on the 400 and that someone would get back to me in the next
day or two.  I kept calling the salespeople but never got a straight
answer.

I also checked with the Component Broker people (IBM's ORB) who had no
interest in the 400 and were the ones who referred me to Inprise and
Orbix.

The project which generated the inquiries got put on hold and I stopped
pestering them.

Aside from the functionality that is supposed to be in v4r4, are there
ORBs available now for the 400 from either vendor?
When is v4r4 due?
How firm is the plan to incorporate an ORB into OS/400?
Will this be included in the base operating system, as a no-charge
option, or as a fee based option?

Thanks,
Gary