  • Subject: Re[2]: Ok, so we have a list...
  • From: "Guy Murphy"<gmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 97 14:09:30 -0600

     I stand corrected.

     Guy Murphy         University of Illinois - UDIS
                        217-333-8670
                        murphyfa@uiuc.edu

>        I may be wrong person to comment on this since I've just started

>     learn Java (2 days ago, still on page 10) but what the hell...

>        I think that Java is strictly client/server.  It's not meant for

>     green screens.  The server(AS/400) gives the client (PC or Mac or
NC
     <snip>

The market emphasis on the Internet and applets has lent confusion here.
Java can be used to write applets <bold>or</bold> stand-alone
applications. It's a full-featured programming language. The difference
between an applet and an application is something to do with the class
upon which you base things. If you use the <bold>applet</bold> class,
it's an applet, Otherwise, no. (This is a very simple-minded
explanation-I'm just starting, too.)

     <snip>

Vernon Hamberg

Systems Software Programmer

Old Republic National Title Insurance Company

400 Second Avenue South

Minneapolis, MN  55401-2499

(612) 371-1111 x480