If you download the "full install", the only pre-req is a Sun or IBM Java
Runtime Environment or JDK (version 6.0 or higher).

You don't need an application server (like Tomcat) for development - you
can fully run, test, debug using just the tools in the IDE itself.

You will need a database (either MySQL or DB2 Express-C) if you want to
build an application that integrates with a database.

EGL CE can interact with existing Web services - so, if you already have
Web services deployed somewhere, you can import the WSDL (if SOAP) and
invoke this service directly.

Will Smythe
Product Line Manager
Rational Business Developer and EGL
IBM Rational Software, RTP, NC
919.254.8771
smythew@xxxxxxxxxx

Visit the EGL Cafe - http://www.ibm.com/rational/eglcafe

Re: [EGL-i] EGL Community Edition - Now Available

Michael Soucy
to:
EGL on and around the IBM i
09/10/2009 10:46 AM

Sent by:
egl-i-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Please respond to EGL on and around the IBM i

I want to download EGL CE but, I have a couple of questions. If I download

the "full install" version which says it includes Eclipse, what else do I
need to download? I assume I need to download a database of my choice. Do

I need to also need to download the Java SDK, and an App Sever (Apache
Tomcat)?

- Michael Soucy