What I find amazing is that after all the complaints about how IBM won't
market the i (or OS/2 for that matter) now that we do have a superior
arhitecture that IBM is behind, as a community we're so reluctant to back
them up. Not sure what my point is, I just find it interesting.

I will start my response by saying these are just my observations...

For me it is because their modernization strategy has been entirely on their
terms. I have a hard time believing IBM queried RPG shops and this is what
the RPG shops said they wanted. I believe iSeries vendors will eat this
stuff up like crazy because it will be a natural progression for platform
indepenence.

My other observation is that they are trying to boil all the IBM oceans
(read platforms) with one development tool (EGL) which sounds good in
concept, but when you get into the details it doesn't always bring the
benefit for the customer they hoped for. I would love it if they would do
both RPG centric GUI *and* EGL - there really is a fit for both of them
based on the direction a company would like to go. The crazy part about it
is that I bet they could re-utilize many of the editors/coding/technology
that has already been built for EGL purposes and make it work for the RPG
centric version.

FWIW, I am semi chomping at the bit to get my next non-iSeries consulting
web project gig so I can take EGL for a ride and kick the tires.

The weekend is almost here... been a long week :-)

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com