Tim Gornall wrote:
I know this has been covered in the past on the WDSC list, but either I'm
thick or the whole thing is not very intuitive. Either way here goes...
We are running R5V4M0 and have no plans to upgrade any time soon. I have a
set of CD's for WDSC 7.0 that I have been meaning to install. I was using
an older version of WDSC only for the RSE, but it has been uninstalled. So
I'm starting from scratch. What is the best way to get EGL up and running
so I can try some of the demos, and also have RSE?
Thanks, Tim
Think of it this way: there are two completely different paths, WDSC and RDi.

WDSC is the old path, whose time is nearing an end. WDSC v6 had EGL bundled, WDSC V7 had EGL unbundled, but you could get something called the RBDe (RBD extensions) and add EGL in. Neither one is supported long-term, and WDSC itself goes to end of life in April of 2010 (two years).

RDi is the new path. RDi contains only the RPG/COBOL parts of WDSC. RDi-SOA is RDi + RBD, which means RDi + EGL (RBD is the tooling for EGL: RBD is to EGL what Visual Studio is to C#). So, I would probably suggest getting the 60 day trials of RDi and RBD and installing them. This is effectively a trial of RDi-SOA and will give you the capabilities of using both RDi (the successor to WDSC) and EGL.

If after 60 days you like either RDi or RDi-SOA, you can then license them. They'll work fine with V5R4. However, they're not cheap: RDi is $795 per seat and RDi-SOA is $1995. But come 2010, you won't have a choice.

Joe