Chad,

Your questions, and my last answer are overlapping. Read that answer and
let's let the dust settle.

I am not a big fan of having to change every client to say "Primary" or
"Backup". My previous answer shows you how to make one change. On the
server. (Actually the DNS.) Granted, sometimes the clients tend to be a
bit persistent. Meaning CLIENT1 connects to GDIHQ. At the time it was
using the IP address of "Primary" or GDIHQ1. Now, you've done a Mimix
Switch and changed your DNS to point GDIHQ to "Backup" or GDIHQ2. However
CLIENT1 is still trying to connect to "Primary" or GDIHQ1 and doesn't
requery DNS. I'm not ruling out the possibility you might have to bounce
CLIENT1. Now, if CLIENT1 is your primary email server with a thousand or
so users on it, this may not go unnoticed... A reason that we often
segregate Domino work. We try not to server any type connections from our
version of that, NOTES01. WRKDOMSVR will show you a few other entries
more likely to do such connections.
In your case would you have to bounce TRAVELER01 to get it to stop
accessing DB2 on Primary and go to DB2 on Backup? Maybe. We've only
recently completed this change. And have only performed one Mimix switch
since that change (June). We're pretty happy. Switches are performed
once per quarter with our next planned 9/13 thru 9/15. I call that whole
week hell week because I do two other racks full of lpars before that
weekend (unassisted). I get assistance on the weekend.

Of course it helps that we Mimix our development lpar also to a backup
development lpar and we were able to test this during the previous
quarter's switch (March) and even did a midweek development switch as an
battleship test.

Until you can get these remote db connections addressed do not consider
your switch tests complete. I knew that we weren't ready to perform a
midweek production switch test. Now I am down to a few minor concerns
before my confidence level peaks.