First of all - Amy, you're the best! :)

Second, we've had to do the -D before with some clients. It does a great
job cleaning some things up if needed and then replication will push it
back in. Good stuff.

Thanks,
Chris
Personal Blog: http://cwhisonant.blogspot.com
Work Blog: http://www.bleedyellow.com/blogs/lotusnut

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Amy Hoerle <ahoerle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Rob,

First, you want to make sure your catalog is synchronized. There is a bug
that could cause the server to delete a .nlo file when it shouldn't. It
has been fixed for a while, but the fix required that you run a "resync
force". If you have not run a "resync force" since you upgraded to 8.5.3,
I would do that first.

As far as resolving the issue, how you want to handle it may vary based on
the # of files and .nlos affected. Are all if the "issues" referencing
the same .nlo file? If so, you could just restore that one .nlo file from
your cluster (assuming you are not encrypting the .nlo files). Be aware
the .nlo may be located in a different subfolder on the other system.
Also, you may want to add the -i to your list of compact parameters so
compact ignores the errors and keeps going. This will also confirm if you
have a small problem (1 or 2 missing .nlo files) or a larger issue.

To resolve the issue on a large scale you first must be sure that your
archives on the cluster are correct. I would resync the catalog and run
compact on that server to ensure it runs successfully. If it does, then
you can feel confident that your archives on the cluster are correct. If
the archives on the cluster look good, then you can run a fixup -j -D on
the "broken" server to delete documents with any broken .nlo links. Once
you do that then just replicate with the clustermate and the replicator
task will put the data back (most likely will have to clear replication
history for the replication to work). There is no "undo" to fixup -D so
be careful!

Good luck,
Amy
Amy Hoerle
Kim Greene Consulting, Inc
Senior Consultant
ahoerle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
507-775-2174 (direct) | 507-367-2888 (corporate)
Office Hours: 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM CST, other times by appointment
http://www.bleedyellow.com/blogs/iLotusDomino
http://www.twitter.com/iLotusDomino