First of all, Notes 8.0.2 isn't supported on Windows 7. 8.5.1 was the first
release supported on 7.

Secondly, check the launch properties of the Calendar that the user is
trying to open. Make sure that it isn't toggled to just launch as last
viewed but that it's set to launch the MailFS as the designated frameset.
This could be the primary problem - I've seen it many times.

What is the template version of the mail database in question?

If you're really considering an Exchange migration, please don't compare
the Notes Basic client to Outlook. Put Standard on some machines and let
the users see the HUGE improvements.

You said they're running Basic because "it's what they know". I have to be
brutally honest here - Windows 7 is as much of a change compared to XP as
Standard is as compared to Basic. Windows 7 isn't "what they know" yet it's
being used anyway. If you have people who are going to Windows 7, then
force them to use the 8.5.3 FP1 Standard Notes Client as well. Take the
plunge and see how much they like it over Basic. Sure "it's just Windows"
and things are mostly in the same spot with a huge makeover. That's the
same thing with Standard. It's e-mail and users can figure out the
subtleties of the changes. It's just wrapped in a prettier package. Just
like Windows 7 and XP... ;)

Thanks,
Chris
Personal Blog: http://cwhisonant.blogspot.com