I am sure you will not like parts of my answer but I will attempt to
provide an answer to your questions.

For the first part. 512 MB is the MINIMUM Memory requirement

Workload defines Memory requirements beyond the minimum

Some Domino servers require 68 GB of RAM (Yes that is an actual customer
deployment).

The second question, How do I determine the memory requirements for "MY"
workload.

As
http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/dominowiki.nsf/dx/4.8_Domino_on_IBM_i_Tips#Memory
states, The faulting/paging rates determine how much memory is
over-committed.

Keeping Base pool (assuming default configuration) below 100 faults 300
pages per CPU per second is the goal (the lower the better , but above
these numbers user connections may fail and performance will be poor).

The reason the mention of largest view,
For HUGE mail files and large application deployments the view is
the largest memory cost.
Example. the $INBOX is loaded into memory each time the
user opens his/her mail file, That view is x size, requiring x space in
memory.
As the mail file grows, the $INBOX grows
(in an unmanaged mail file), resulting is MORE memory required to do the
same work as a smaller mail file.

For applications with complex views or large
document counts the views can require a LOT of memory

To see the size of any view (index) from the administration
client, Files tab, right click on any database and select manage views.

Note: in the above the inbox is 18 Mb, if this mail file were on server it
would have a VERY large per user cost.
If this were an "average mail file" on a server with 1000 users,
this server would require 36 GB!!!!!! of memory.

In this case rather than installing 18 GB of memory action would be taken
to manage the mail files to avoid this performance cost.

I don't have a way to Sort the databases by view index size but for a
given type of database (ie. mail file) the largest database has a the
largest indexes.

By comparison The same mail file with a Managed inbox.

Note; if this were the average mail file with 2.8 Mb inbox on a server
with 1000 users the server would require 5.6 GB , still a very large
server but 1/6th the original requirement.

Walter Scanlan
Senior Software Engineer
Office: 1 720 342 5837
Cell: 507-990-4539