My 2 cents...

Both platforms provide unique value.....

For Domino on IBM i some value points

1. Largest addressable memory .
Even 64 bit Windows Domino 8.5.x can only support 8 GB per server.

Note: If you chose Domino 64 bit for Windows no vendor
offers AntiVirus yet.
Domino on Windows 32 bit is limited to 2 GB.
IBM i can support 2 TB although the largest real single server
deployment I know of uses 342 GB of Ram
It helps that Domino on IBM i has been 64 bit since 4.6
(1998)
Memory is the greatest bottleneck to server scalability.
If the average user session is 2 MB a system able to
support 2 GB of ram can't really scale above 1000 users no matter the # of
CPU.

2. Single Level Storage
Domino for IBM i does not require managing disk volumes for
services such as Transaction logging and DAOS which on Windows requires
separate volumes and IO management

3. It's a mail server - Virus exposure...
i/OS has never been infected by a virus, While Domino for IBM i
can be a carrier (host a virus for a user workstation in a mail file) it
cannot be infected itself.

4. It's the CPU silly (Power systems not just i/os)
In general an Intel CPU will support 2000 simple mail users per
processor
A power 6 CPU will support 6000 simple mail users per processor
(simple user not to be confused with a power user)

5. Availability.
A power system delivers higher single node up time that competing
Intel systems.
99.984 is the last number I had available.

Walter Scanlan
Senior Software Engineer
Office: 507-286-6088
Cell: 507-990-4539