Yes, BES has to be a Windows server running an instance of Domino Messaging
Server (Don't have to buy Enterprise server license I'm fairly certain...)
The BES server will simply look at the person document for their home mail
server and pull mail from there. No mail files have to be on the BES - just
leave everything as-is. Each BES account is equal to adding another single
Domino user, so you will see slightly more utilization. However, if you have
your BES on the same network as your mail servers, I wouldn't imagine that
you would see any problems with network latency, etc...

Basically, you register a new Domino server, install Domino and then install
BES. When they're all running then you can just activate BlackBerry devices
and you're good to go! :)

Thanks,
Chris
Personal Blog: http://cwhisonant.blogspot.com