IBM has graciously offered to update their web site for me to put the
steps to send an initialization string to the modem after a firmware
upgrade. It was hidden in their FAX/400 product and not on the Domino Fax
website. It will shortly become a FAQ on the Domino Fax website.

Classification: Public Use

Document Title:MultiTech MT5634ZBA-DID Direct Inward Dial External Modem
Initialization Instructions
Document Description:
To use the MT5634ZBA-DID external modem with Facsimile Support, you must
run extra commands before the line will go to an active status. Do the
following:

1 Create a data area for DID dialing. On the operating system command
line, type the following:

CRTDTAARA DTAARA(QGPL/FAXD01DI) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(5)

Press the Enter key.

Running this command gives you the default settings. If you want to
configure it further, refer to the following Rochester Support Center

knowledgebase document:

475487602, Multi-Tech MT5634ZBA-DID Direct Inward Dial External Modem

Information: (Document link: Database 'Rochester Support Center
KnowledgeBase', View 'Personal Views\Documents You Own', Document
'Multi-Tech MT5634ZBA-DID Direct Inward Dial External Modem
Information')

The modem must already be configured on the IBM® System i® products.
This can be done by following the steps in the following Rochester
Support Center knowledgebase document:

16485703, Configuring the 7852-400 Modem for Facsimile Support/400:
(Document link: Database 'Rochester Support Center KnowledgeBase',
View 'All Documents', Document 'Configuring the 7852-400 Modem for
Facsimile Support/400')

2 Run the following commands to vary off the line, controller, and
device:

VRYCFG fax_line_name CFGTYPE(*LIN) STATUS(*OFF)

VRYCFG fax_controller_name CFGTYPE(*CTL) STATUS(*OFF)

VRYCFG fax_async device_name CFGTYPE(*DEV) STATUS(*OFF)

3 Run the following commands to vary them back online:

VRYCFG fax_line_name CFGTYPE(*LIN) STATUS(*ON)

VRYCFG fax_controller_name CFGTYPE(*CTL) STATUS(*ON)

VRYCFG fax_async device_name CFGTYPE(*DEV) STATUS(*ON)

4 On the operating system command line, type the following and press
the Enter key at the same time you power on the modem:

STRITF fax_async device_name

where fax_async device_name is the name of the fax async device (for
example, FAXASC01).

If this is done correctly, you will see three command lines appear at

the bottom of the green screen. If not, you must abort this session
and start at Step 2 again. Pressing the Enter key on the command and

powering on the modem must be in sync.

5 At the STRITF screen, type the following and then press the Enter key

(there are two zeros in the text below):

AT&S1&W0&Y0

6 Power off the modem, then vary off the line, controller, and device
(refer to Step 2).

7 Power on the modem. The modem should now be initialized, and it
should go to an active status when Facsimile Support is started.

Note: You will use this data area only if you are configuring fax
with a DID modem. This modem can be used without DID lines and,
therefore, this data area would not be needed.

You can view the document at the following URL
http://www-912.ibm.com/8625680A007CA5C6/1AC66549A21402188625680B0002037E/86256A81004EFF5C8625717200704C85

This document and many others can be found by selecting the "Technical
databases" link at the following URL:

http://www-304.ibm.com/jct01004c/systems/support/supportsite.wss/brandmain?brandind=5000027

While you are there, check out other exciting offerings such as iPTF and
Recommended Fixes. We show you the quickest way to keep your systems
current on fixes.