If they are really packrats in their Inbox, it can actually impact the
performance of the entire server. As it was explained to me, this is
because everytime they receive a new mail message, the index for the Inbox
has to be updated, causing the server to work harder than necessary to
deliver to that one user. Of course, this was explained to me because I
had a user with an Inbox large enough that I could see in the processor
stats every time he got a new message.

Patrick

Timothy Briley
<tlbriley@mindspr
ing.com> To
Sent by: Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400
domino400-bounces <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
+ptrapp=nex-tech. cc
com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: Counting emails in an inbox
06/05/2008 12:53
PM

Please respond to
Lotus Domino on
the iSeries /
AS400
<domino400@midran
ge.com>

Jerry,

"CTL+A to select all, and look at the count on the status bar."

A technique I find helpful when instructing users in the use of the
Lotus Notes client is to point out that "CTRL+A" isn't just a Lotus
Notes shortcut, but a shortcut that is used by almost all apps.

The same holds true for "CTRL+B", "CTRL+I", "CTRL+U", "CTRL+X",
"CTRL+C", "CTRL+V", and "CTRL+P", among others.

I then drop down each entry on the Lotus Notes menu bar and point out
the short cuts that appear next to several of the items. When you
point out that learning these shortcuts will help them using other
apps such as MS Word and MS Excel, I find that they tend to pay more
attention.

I would also point out to the "keep everything in my inbox" users
that it takes their mail longer to open. You can point out that if
they need to search, they can switch to the "All Documents" view.
Many users don't realize that the "All Documents" view is there due
to it being missing in MS Outlook.

Timothy Briley
tlbriley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.floridabarexam.org