Whether PING looks in the host table, or the DNS, first is dependent on
the entry for
"Host name search priority"
in
Change TCP/IP Domain (CHGTCPDMN)
otherwise known as
CFGTCP 12. Change TCP/IP domain information
*LOCAL says host table first.
*REMOTE says DNS first.

I have *LOCAL.
I have no entries in "10. Work with TCP/IP host table entries" for
NOTES01.

Apparently someone out there somewhere has NOTES01 mapped to that 208
address.  But, since,
1 - I have removed those DN Servers from CHGTCPDMN
2 - Ping finds it as the other "local" address
Why does a server console trace find it otherwise?

... wait ...

After rebooting i5/os now even the server console trace is finding it as
the "local" address.
trace notes01
Determining path to server NOTES01
Available Ports:  TCPIP
Checking normal priority connection documents only...
Local network connection document found for NOTES01/DEKKO
  Verifying address 'NOTES01.dekko.com' for NOTES01/DEKKO on TCPIP
    Requesting IP Address for NOTES01.dekko.com from DNS
    DNS returned address 10.10.1.189 for NOTES01.dekko.com

Don't know why an i5/os reboot was necessary.  Heck one of the perceived
advantages of running Domino on i5/os is the multiple dpars using separate
subsystems, etc.  I shouldn't have had to even bounce the darn Domino
server, let alone the whole i5/os lpar.  Especially since ping was fat,
dumb and happy.

There's no server console command like the DOS command IPCONFIG to flush
the dns, is there?