This is normally how we do it:
- upgrade dpar GDI01 on 270 GDI.  Drop machine during middle of day and no
one will notice.
- upgrade dpars GDISYS01, GDISYS02 on lpar GDISYS.  Some development.  I
will notice.  My mail primary and it's cluster.  (Duh to do both on same
lpar - I know.)
- upgrade 9 dpars on 270 MAILTWO.  These are 1-for-1 cluster dpars for
primary dpars on a different box
- upgrade 3 dpars on lpar GDWEB.  These are in our 'web' domain.
- upgrade 11 dpars on lpar GDIHQ.  Notes directory server, and our primary
email server, is one of these dpars.

This is probably not the right way.  But from a business perspective it
looks right.