MIDRANGE dot COM Mailing List Archive



Home » DOMINO400 » February 2006

Re: Mounting an NFS Share



fixed

oh, your mount point is wrong.

unmount the remote nfs and recreate the remote file system object with 
qnotes as the owner, then remote.

 
Walter Scanlan 
Senior Software Engineer
Domino & Workplace for iSeries
507-286-6088
wscanlan@xxxxxxxxxx



Chris Whisonant <Chris.Whisonant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 
Sent by: domino400-bounces+wscanlan=us.ibm.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/03/2006 09:14 AM
Please respond to
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>


To
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Mounting an NFS Share






Yes, I initially tried that on the directory itself. I just tried it on 
the object as well and I get the following:

Message ID . . . . . . :   CPFA0B1 
Date sent  . . . . . . :   02/03/06      Time sent  . . . . . . : 10:13:30 

 
 
Message . . . . :   Requested operation not allowed.  Access problem. 
 
Cause . . . . . :   An operation was requested on an object, but the 
operation 
  is not allowed in the context of the request.  Appropriate privileges 
may be 
  required or the file system may not allow an operation to the selected 
 
  object. 
Recovery  . . . :   Check the name of the object to make sure it is 
correct. 
  Correct the name and retry the operation.  If trying to remove a 
directory, 
  use the RMVDIR command. If trying to link directories, specify *SYMBOLIC 

for 
  the LNKTYPE parameter of the ADDLNK command. 


That's all the info in my job log as well:

+>> CHGOWN OBJ('/LOTUS/DOMINO/hqmail01/FASmail/rhcsgdcw.nsf') 
NEWOWN(QNOTES) 
    Requested operation not allowed.  Access problem. 

Chris Whisonant
Comporium
Senior Mid-Range Systems Administrator
IBM eServer Certified Systems Expert - iSeries Technical Solutions V5R2
IBM Certified System Administrator - Lotus Notes and Domino 6/6.5
IBM Certified Associate Developer - Lotus Notes and Domino 6/6.5
803.326.7270 | 803.326.6142 fax
http://cwhisonant.blogspot.com/

domino400-bounces+chris.whisonant=comporium.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 
02/03/2006 10:08:18 AM:

> did you try the command chgown on the ifs object to change to qnotes?
> 
> Walter Scanlan 
> Senior Software Engineer
> Domino & Workplace for iSeries
> 507-286-6088
> wscanlan@xxxxxxxxxx
> 
> 
> 
> Chris Whisonant <Chris.Whisonant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 
> Sent by: domino400-bounces+wscanlan=us.ibm.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> 02/03/2006 09:04 AM
> Please respond to
> Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> 
> 
> To
> Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> cc
> 
> Subject
> Re: Mounting an NFS Share
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Thanks for the info Watler!
> 
> Interesting thing on the ownership. Since I did the crtdir, the owner of 


> the local directory is myself. After mounting it, the owner of the 
remote 
> directory is QSECOFR. I cannot change this owner of the mounted 
directory. 
> 
> I get a CPFA0B1      "Requested operation not allowed.  Access problem."
> 
> I tried copying (CPY) a database and initially got a CCSID error. After 
> changing the TOCCSID to *CALC, the object was created. However, I can't 
> change the OWNER paramater to *KEEP, so it has me as the owner. Thought 
> about using a SBMJOB to run as QNOTES, but will only do that if 
> necessary...
> 
> After copying the object, I still get the Unknown OS error when trying 
to 
> open it.
> 
> I did a SET CONFIG debug_noteopen=5 to enable this on the fly. However, 
I 
> don't even see any records of my attempt to open the database! When I 
open 
> 
> another "native" db I see a lot of hits. I printed the console and 
> searched through it in my spooled files to try finding the attempt to 
open 
> 
> this DB.
> 
> When trying to create a new copy of a database from Notes, I only see 
the 
> following references in the spooled file - I see no attempts at opening 
> it:
> 
> [10306:00378-000001C0] 02/03/2006 09:48:36   Database 
> FASmail/servicehistory.nsf created by Chris Whisonant/COMPORIUM
> 
> [10306:00378-000001BE] 02/03/2006 09:49:56   Database 
> FASmail/servicehistory.nsf deleted by Chris Whisonant/COMPORIUM 
> 
> Basically, when we first talked to NetApp about their "partnership" with 


> Lotus (http://www.netapp.com/partners/lotus/), they eventually came back 


> to us and recommended that we NOT use the filer as a mount with iSeries 
> because of the 64 -> 32 -> 64 bit file conversion that would have to be 
> done. This would give us about an 8MB/sec throughput rate (HORRIBLE!).
> 
> I think we're just seeing that domino is thinking it's way too slow to 
> work. From my understanding, though, using the filer with a Windows 
Domino 
> 
> server is extremely fast.... (though probably not as fast as the iSeries 


> disk!)  =)
> 
> Chris Whisonant
> Comporium
> Senior Mid-Range Systems Administrator
> IBM eServer Certified Systems Expert - iSeries Technical Solutions V5R2
> IBM Certified System Administrator - Lotus Notes and Domino 6/6.5
> IBM Certified Associate Developer - Lotus Notes and Domino 6/6.5
> 803.326.7270 | 803.326.6142 fax
> http://cwhisonant.blogspot.com/
> 
> domino400-bounces+chris.whisonant=comporium.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 
> 02/03/2006 09:13:03 AM:
> 
> > Chris,
> >         As long as the object ownership auth for the directory mounted 


> is 
> > correct (qnotes) and the mounted file system is fast (domino thinks 
this 
> 
> 
> > is local disk) it will work. 
> >         The error you are returning is on the file open after creating 


> the 
> > stub, The fact that the file stub was created suggests the directory 
> > ownership is right and file system performance is the issue.
> > 
> >         Try this as a test. 
> > 
> >         COPY (IFS) an existing db to the mounted drive (remember 
> > ownership) and try to open that.  If you want better detail on what 
the 
> > server is doing during the open add the debug debug_noteopen=5 
(requires 
> 
> 
> > server restart).
> > 
> > This will dump a lot of information to your console but will tell you 
if 
> 
> 
> > this is a file system performance issue.
> > 
> > 
> > Walter Scanlan 
> > Senior Software Engineer
> > Domino & Workplace for iSeries
> > 507-286-6088
> > wscanlan@xxxxxxxxxx
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > Chris Whisonant <Chris.Whisonant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 
> > Sent by: domino400-bounces+wscanlan=us.ibm.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > 02/03/2006 08:02 AM
> > Please respond to
> > Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > 
> > 
> > To
> > Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > cc
> > 
> > Subject
> > Mounting an NFS Share
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > We're looking at trying some archiving to a NetApp NAS filer. I can 
> mount 
> > the share correctly using the following:
> > 
> > MOUNT TYPE(*NFS) MFS('tpfas270:/vol/vol1/FASmail') 
> > MNTOVRDIR('/LOTUS/DOMINO/hqmail01/FASmail')
> > 
> > As you can see there's a share on the filer called FASmail that I am 
> > mounting over my FASmail folder in the root of my Mail server's data 
> > directory. When the manager of the filer calls NetApp for support, 
they 
> > tell him that they only know about Domino on Windows (this should be 
my 
> > first cause to stop trying....) But we're trying to do this to get 
some 
> > quotas/archival in place using our existing hardware. 
> > 
> > Anyway, after mounting it (with default mount parameters), I have 
tried 
> > creating a new copy of a small database from Notes. I get the 
following 
> > error at my Notes client:
> > 
> > "Unknown OS error: HQMAIL01/COMPORIUM FASmail\database.nsf"
> > 
> > Looking on the filer and in my IFS, I can see that the database is 
> > created, but that's about as far as it gets. Has anyone else succeeded 


> > with doing this?
> > 
> > Walter, if this is something you guys could help me with I will be 
more 
> > than happy to call support (or feel free to just chime in....)
> > 
> > Thanks all!!
> > 
> > Chris Whisonant
> > Comporium
> > Senior Mid-Range Systems Administrator
> > IBM eServer Certified Systems Expert - iSeries Technical Solutions 
V5R2
> > IBM Certified System Administrator - Lotus Notes and Domino 6/6.5
> > IBM Certified Associate Developer - Lotus Notes and Domino 6/6.5
> > 803.326.7270 | 803.326.6142 fax
> > http://cwhisonant.blogspot.com/
> > 
> > NOTICE: This message contains information which may be confidential. 
If 
> > the reader is neither the intended recipient nor a person responsible 
> for 
> > delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are notified 
that 
> > any distribution, copying or retention of this communication is 
strictly 
> 
> 
> > prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please 
> > notify us immediately by return e-mail, telephone or facsimile. Thank 
> you.
> > _______________________________________________
> > This is the Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 (Domino400) mailing 
list
> > To post a message email: Domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
> > visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/domino400
> > or email: Domino400-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
> > at http://archive.midrange.com/domino400.
> > 
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > This is the Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 (Domino400) mailing 
list
> > To post a message email: Domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
> > visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/domino400
> > or email: Domino400-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
> > at http://archive.midrange.com/domino400.
> > 
> 
> 
> NOTICE: This message contains information which may be confidential. If 
> the reader is neither the intended recipient nor a person responsible 
for 
> delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are notified that 
> any distribution, copying or retention of this communication is strictly 


> prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please 
> notify us immediately by return e-mail, telephone or facsimile. Thank 
you.
> _______________________________________________
> This is the Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 (Domino400) mailing list
> To post a message email: Domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
> visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/domino400
> or email: Domino400-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
> at http://archive.midrange.com/domino400.
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> This is the Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 (Domino400) mailing list
> To post a message email: Domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
> visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/domino400
> or email: Domino400-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
> at http://archive.midrange.com/domino400.
> 


NOTICE: This message contains information which may be confidential. If 
the reader is neither the intended recipient nor a person responsible for 
delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are notified that 
any distribution, copying or retention of this communication is strictly 
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please 
notify us immediately by return e-mail, telephone or facsimile. Thank you.
_______________________________________________
This is the Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 (Domino400) mailing list
To post a message email: Domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/domino400
or email: Domino400-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
at http://archive.midrange.com/domino400.







Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2014 by MIDRANGE dot COM and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available here. If you have questions about this, please contact