Thanks for the info Walter! The great thing about Domino clustering is
that is is platform-independent. The clustering is done by Domino so the
hardware and OS are basically irrelevant other than meeting your system
requirements.

Chris Whisonant
Comporium
Senior Mid-Range Systems Administrator
IBM eServer Certified Systems Expert - iSeries Technical Solutions V5R2
IBM Certified System Administrator - Lotus Notes and Domino 6/6.5
803.326.7270 | 803.326.6142 fax
http://cwhisonant.blogspot.com/

domino400-bounces+chris.whisonant=comporium.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on
09/20/2005 05:38:35 PM:

> Scott,
>         Not a good answer here.
>
> The hardware requirement will be driven by workload. So on iSeries the
WLE
> can be used to define the required hardware, No such tool exists for
intel
> servers.
> I use this rule of thumb.  (SWAG)
>
> 1 windows server for each DPAR on iSeries  (so this may be a one to many

> cluster)
> If you are running current iSeries hardware (i520,i550etc) 3 Intel CPUs
> for each iSeries CPU should work ok.
>
> Example.
>
> An i520(2-way) with 4 DPAR, (Mail1, Mail2 , Apps1 HUB1) would be
clustered
> to 4 intel systems
>
> Mail1a  2 cpu
>
> Mail2a 2 cpu
>
> Apps2a 1 cpu
>
> Hub1a  1 cpu
>
> I generally just run 2 GB of ram on intel servers.
>
> Workloads vary and Mail1&2 might drive 80% of the load in which case
they
> may need more CPU
>

> NONE of this should be taken as sizing recommendations.
>

> Walter Scanlan
> Senior Software Engineer
> Domino & Workplace for iSeries
> 507-286-6088
> wscanlan@xxxxxxxxxx
>

> Scott Reece <SReece@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Sent by: domino400-bounces+wscanlan=us.ibm.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> 09/20/2005 04:10 PM
> Please respond to
> Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400

> Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: Domino cluster on OS400 and Windows?
>

> Thanks Walter,
>
> That is exactly what I needed to hear, is there a technote somewhere
that
> will shed some light on what the hardware should be on the Windows
machine
> compared to our iSeries?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Reece
> System Administrator
> City of Bend
> sreece@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Office - 541-388-4426
>

> "Once you say you're going to settle for second, that's what happens to
> you
> in life. "  --JFK
>

>              Walter Scanlan
>              <wscanlan@xxxxxxx
>              com> To
>
>              Sent by:                  Lotus Domino on the iSeries /
AS400