I thought I would also respond to this list with what I just posted to my
blog (since it was originally brought up here...) at:

http://cwhisonant.blogspot.com/2005/09/enabling-transaction-logging-to.html

Let me know if you see any errors in the procedure!

A couple of months ago on the Domino for iSeries list, someone asked about
setting up transaction logging on an iSeries. I found a proof-of-concept
that I thought I would give a try on a test box. The idea was to set up a
secondary ASP for dedicated disk units and point the transaction logging
to that pool of drives. Here is what I did to enable this.

System:
iSeries model 270 2248 Feature
i5/OS (V5R3)
512 MB Main Storage
System ASP - 210 GB
New User ASP - 115 GB
Domino 7.0

Since I had some eStorage drives lying around that were "taken out" of a
production machine, I figured I would use them for the user ASP.

Add Disk Units To System In A User ASP:
- Ensure that you have available space for the new disk units
- Power down the system and do not restart
- Insert disk units into the system
- IPL system to B/Manual and Slow
- Go into the Dedicated Service Tools (DST) environment
- Work with Disk Units
- Work with Disk Unit Recovery
- Disk Unit Problem Recovery Procedures
- Initialize and Format Disk Unit
- Select the new disk units to format and proceed
- Return to the Work with Disk Units menu
- Work with Disk Unit Configuration
- Work with Device Parity Protection (or mirroring - depending on what
type of protection you desire)
- Include Disk Units in Device Parity Protection
- Return to the Work with Disk Unit Configuration menu
- Work with ASP Configuration
- Add Units to ASPs
- You will see your new disk units; just type in the number of the next
available ASP. I only had a System ASP, so I typed in "2" beside each disk
unit to place them in ASP #2
- Confirm your new configuration
- Exit DST and continue with the IPL

Configure New Directory in User ASP:
- CRTDIR DIR('/translog')
- CRTUDFS UDFS('/dev/qasp02/translog.udfs') (This creates a User Defined
File System (UDFS) that will be used in the next step as the mount point
for your translog directory. The "qasp0"2 must reflect the number of the
ASP you created for your drives. The "translog.udfs" can be anything.
- MOUNT TYPE(*UDFS) MFS('/dev/qasp02/translog.udfs')
MNTOVRDIR('/translog') I
- WRKLNK OBJ('/translog')
- Option 8
- Note that the Auxiliary Storage Pool should reflect your pool.

Enable Transaction Logging for the Domino Server:
- Open the Domino Administrator client to the server on which you wish to
enable transaction logging or to your home server where your main
Directory is stored
- Go to the Configuration Tab
- Expand the Server section on the left
- Go to All Server Documents
- Choose Edit Server for the Server Document of the the server on which
you wish to enable transaction logging
- Go to the Transaction Logging tab
- Transactional logging: Enabled
- Log path: /translog/ (or whatever you used for the CRTDIR command. It is
relative to the root and not the Domino data directory)

- For the remainder of the settings, it is recommended that you become
familiar with the various options and make sure they are suited to your
environment.
- Logging style: Circular
- Use all available space on log device: No
- Maximum log space: 10000 MB
- Automatic fixup of corrupt databases: Enabled
- Runtime/Restart performance: Favor restart recovery time

Chris Whisonant
Comporium
Senior Mid-Range Systems Administrator
IBM eServer Certified Systems Expert - iSeries Technical Solutions V5R2
IBM Certified System Administrator - Lotus Notes and Domino 6/6.5
803.326.7270 | 803.326.6142 fax
http://cwhisonant.blogspot.com/

domino400-bounces+chris.whisonant=comporium.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on
08/02/2005 03:09:36 PM:

> All,
>
> New to the AS400 here.  Is there a best practice or recommended way to
> implement the transaction logging on an AS400?  By that I mean should
this
> be a separate controller/drive?  I know on a windows server they
recommend
> a separate disk/controller for your transaction logs so it can do both
> writes at the same time.
>
> Hope this makes sense.  Thanks for any info you can provide.
>
> Brian
>

> Brian Rutherford
> Senior Lotus Notes Developer/Admin
> Ph:  630-795-2155
> Fax: 630-795-2220
> www.hubgroup.com
> brutherford@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> rob@xxxxxxxxx
> Sent by: domino400-bounces+brutherford=hubgroup.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> 08/02/2005 01:59 PM
> Please respond to
> Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: Backing up multi-version releases
>

> I "think" that if you did a WRKDOMSVR and used option 12 to see the data

> directory that you should be able to save that directory.  Then on a
> different machine make sure it has the same version of Domino loaded.
> Restore your server and do a CFGDOMSVR and get it back into the other
misc

> '/QIBM/UserData/Lotus' genre of directories.  Make sense?  A little
TCP/IP

> configuration may be needed (ADDTCPIFC stuff).  But I have a tendency to

> save a few of these directories nightly anyway.
>
> Rob Berendt
> --
> Group Dekko Services, LLC
> Dept 01.073
> PO Box 2000
> Dock 108
> 6928N 400E
> Kendallville, IN 46755
> http://www.dekko.com
>

> "Patrick Trapp" <ptrapp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Sent by: domino400-bounces+rob=dekko.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> 08/02/2005 01:49 PM
> Please respond to
> Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> cc
>
> Subject
> Backing up multi-version releases
>

> Now that the dust has settled after our upgrade to 6.5.4, I've been
> studying the changes in the file structure for the server to support
> multi-versioning.  I want to make sure that I'm still backing up all of
> the
> necessary files.
>
> I'm sure there are much more sophisticated backup strategies available,
> but
> I'm using a simple CL to end the server, write the files to savefile,
> restart the server, then write the savefile to tape.
>
> Currently, I'm saving the data directory from my server (where the
> databases are stored), /QIBM/UserData/Lotus/*, and the QNOTES and
> QUSRNOTES
> libraries.  In the redbook Installing and Managing Domino for 6.5 for
> iSeries, it indicates that "backing up all Domino databases" simply
> requires the data directory and /QIBM/UserData/Lotus/Notes/*.
Apparently,