This is as much for me as for anyone else! I compiled this and put it on
my blog as well at
http://cwhisonant.blogspot.com/2005/07/debugging-for-domino.html

Debugging for Domino
Before proceeding, let me say that starting debugging should only be done
per instructions from IBM. =) Also note that debugging can, by it's very
nature, impact system performance. Although, I have not noticed any
performance impacts when I have enabled debugging. This post will only
deal with configuring the server for debug mode and not with the analysis
of debug data. Many of these commands are also useful for the Notes Client
.

Let's begin with some of the DEBUG_* options by describing their usage
along with some information on how to enable them.

1.) DEBUG_THREADID=1
Per this Lotus technote, "This prefixes the console output with the
process and threadid information in the format [ProcessID:Virtual Thread
ID-Native Thread ID]. This can be helpful in identifying the process or
thread holding a semaphore."

2.) DEBUG_NTI_DRVR=1 I cannot find any information on this via technotes.
My understanding is that this will enable debugging of the TCP/IP NTI
Driver.

3.) DEBUG_TCP_ALL=1 This turns on debugging for all TCP functions.

4.) DEBUG_TCP_ERRORS=1 This turns on debugging for TCP errors.

5.) DEBUG_DBSERVER=1 This turns on debugging for the DB Server calls that
may be made.

6.) DEBUG_SHOW_TIMEOUT=1 This turns on debugging for semaphores. See this
Lotus Technote for information on debugging. See also this Lotus Technote
for general information on semaphores.

7.) DEBUG_CAPTURE_TIMEOUT=10 This adds timestamps to the semaphore
debugging.

8.) Debug_outfile=debug.txt This option specifies the location of the
debug file. As a side note, I have noticed that after a couple of days on
my iSeries that this file stops growing at 4GB. Lotus could not confirm
this, but it appears that at 4GB this file becomes circular just like
transaction logging. The following information is from the Lotus
Administrator help database:

>From my understanding, these are all dynamic options (except for #8) -
meaning that you can type "set config DEBUG_THREADID=1" (or any of the
others) at the console and begin seeing this output. If you have the debug
outfile or console logging active (see below), then the will be reflected
in those files as well. Please see this Lotus Technote for more
information on setting this dynamically.

Syntax: Debug_Outfile=filename
this setting and the LogFile_Dir setting exist and Debug_Outfile contains
a fully qualified path name, then LogFile_Dir is not used.
If only the Debug_Outfile setting exists and it contains only a file name,
then the default path \DATADIRECTORY\IBM_TECHNICAL_SUPPORT is used. If
neither Debug_Outfile or LogFile_Dir exist, then the default path is
\DATADIRECTORY\IBM_TECHNICAL_SUPPORT and the default path is CONSOLE.LOG.

The following represents the debugging I have in my notes.ini currently to
assist in troubleshooting my 6.5.4 errors - you can see that I have turned
off several and enabled some others:

DEBUG_THREADID=1
DEBUG_DBSERVER=1
DEBUG_SHOW_TIMEOUT=1
DEBUG_CAPTURE_TIMEOUT=10
DEBUG_NTI_DRVR=0
DEBUG_TCP_ALL=0
DEBUG_TCP_ERRORS=0
DEBUG_OUTFILE=DEBUG.TXT

A side note on analysis, with options such as DEBUG_THREADID, you will be
able to see a Process ID number along with Thread ID's. You can then, by
possibly having agent print statements, be able to associate the
Process/Thread ID with a particular agent, task, or user. This can
potentially go a long way in helping to determine the cause of an issue.

Chris Whisonant
Comporium
Senior Mid-Range Systems Administrator
IBM eServer Certified Systems Expert - iSeries Technical Solutions V5R2
IBM Certified System Administrator - Lotus Notes and Domino 6/6.5
803.326.7270 | 803.326.6142 fax
http://cwhisonant.blogspot.com/

domino400-bounces+chris.whisonant=comporium.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on
07/29/2005 11:52:04 AM: