Yes, I can. For review, here's what I did.

Firstly, the DNS Servers on my iSeries are 12.127.16.67 and 12.127.17.71.
AT&T does our DNS. We were given these to use years ago. Up until recently,
we didn't use internal DNS. Now we've upgraded to Windows Server 2003 as
our domain controllers. We use that for DNS. We serve the local IP
addresses of our domain controllers to our clients using DHCP for DNS.
192.168.0.5 and .0.6. The DNS server in our Windows server hop to
12.127.16.68 and 12.127.17.72. This was set up by our networking
consultant.

What I did was to change the DNS servers on my pc from DHCP to static
12.127.16.67 and 17.71. The same as on the iSeries on which our Domino
Server resides. From my PC, using the DNS servers that the iSeries uses, I
could not resolve an IP address for the mail server to which I'm trying to
send a message. When I change the PC back to using DHCP, I can resolve the
IP address of the mail server to which I'm trying to send a message. This
tells me that 12.127.16.67 and 17.71 are not up to date and 16.68 and 17.72
are. I'm not a networking guy, but I'm the network guy here.

So now I have two questions. Should I use, on my iSeries, the IP address of
our Windows 2003 servers for DNS, or should I use the actual DNS servers
from AT&T? And, if I change these values, does TCP/IP have to be restarted
on the iSeries in order for the changes to take effect?

Did I totally confuse you now? :-)

Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst
CCX, Inc.
mwalter@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccxinc.com

             rob@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:
             domino400-bounces                                          To
             +mwalter=hanoverw         Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400
             ire.com@midrange.         <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             com                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/19/2005 09:40          Re: Fw: Screwy situation
             AM

             Please respond to
              Lotus Domino on
               the iSeries /
                   AS400
             <domino400@midran
                  ge.com>

I don't understand.  You should be trying to ping your DNS servers by IP
address from both the iSeries and the PC now.
Can you ping your new DNS servers, by IP address, from both the iSeries
and the PC?

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

MWalter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: domino400-bounces+rob=dekko.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
04/19/2005 08:37 AM
Please respond to
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Fw: Screwy situation

I can't ping it by IP address from the iSeries, but it probably isn't
accepting SNMP.

I don't get response from the pc command line either, but it does resolve
the IP address. It's not doing that on the iSeries.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst
CCX, Inc.
mwalter@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccxinc.com

Rob,

I figured it out. It is the DNS Servers. The servers we're using on the
iSeries are in fact different than the ones used in Active Directory. Old
AT&T DNS servers. I changed the servers on my pc to the ones on the
iSeries, and viola, no resolution. So, if I change the DNS Servers in
CFGTCP option 12, do I need to restart TCP for the change to take effect?
think I do, since I did this already, and I still cannot resolve an IP
address to the mail server in question.

Thanks allot for your help.

Regards,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst
CCX, Inc.
mwalter@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccxinc.com

           rob@xxxxxxxxx
           Sent by:
           domino400-bounces                                          To
           +mwalter=hanoverw         Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400
           ire.com@midrange.         <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
           com                                                        cc

                                                                 Subject
           04/19/2005 09:11          Re: Screwy situation
           AM

           Please respond to
            Lotus Domino on
             the iSeries /
                 AS400
           <domino400@midran
                ge.com>

CFGTCP
12. Change TCP/IP domain information
Domain name  . . . . . . . . . .   'dekko-1'
Host name search priority  . . .   *LOCAL
Domain name server:
Internet address . . . . . . .   '10.10.1.210'
                                 '10.10.1.252'
What are your values?
On your PC, if you do a :  Start, Run, cmd, ok and then enter IPCONFIG
/ALL
What do you show for:
      Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : dekko-1
                                          10.10.1.252
Then the big question is, are there any differences between your PC's
configuration, as displayed by the above commands, and your iSeries, as
displayed by the above commands?
If not, then can you ping the DNS address from your iSeries?  In my case I
should be able to ping '10.10.1.210' and '10.10.1.252' from my i5.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

MWalter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: domino400-bounces+rob=dekko.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
04/19/2005 07:58 AM
Please respond to
Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Screwy situation

Sorry, not ping, but the pc resolves the IP address. The iSeries give me
unknown host.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst
CCX, Inc.
mwalter@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccxinc.com

           MWalter@hanoverwi
           re.com

           domino400-bounces         Lotus Domino on the iSeries / AS400

           +mwalter=hanoverw         <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
           ire.com@midrange.                                          cc

           com
                                                                 Subject

                                     Re: Screwy situation
           04/19/2005 08:56
           AM

           Please respond to
            Lotus Domino on
             the iSeries /
                 AS400
           <domino400@midran
                ge.com>

I can ping the mail server from my pc command line, but not from the
iSeries. Both are using the same DNS. I'm confused.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst