Folks:

I'm trying to write a java class that will create a copy (or replica) of a database.

Originally (long time ago) I was trying to copy the database using the CL CPY command, which was failing most of the time because the database was in use. When I posted the question, Walter Scanlan responded that I should use the API's to do the copies (http://archive.midrange.com/domino400/200108/msg00043.html) to avoid server lock issues.

Well, I'm trying this approach now ... but it's not working, for very similar reasons.

When I run the class (see below), I often get a NotesException with a error id of 553 "Database is currently in use by you or another user".

-------------------------
try {
        // setup our notes environment
        Session session = NotesFactory.createSession();
        Database oldDB = session.getDatabase(null, oldDatabase);
        newDB = oldDB.createCopy(null, newDatabase);
} catch (NotesException e) {
        System.our.println("caught: " + e);
        e.printStackTrace();
}

This java class is *NOT* running inside the Domino server ... but it is running as QNOTES, with the classpath, path, and library list set appropriately.

Any suggestions on how I can go about making a database copy outside of the Domino server.

Thanks!

david