I had LDAP properly configured and tested it with the dos utility
ldapsearch -h gdisys01 CN=SAMW*
That successfully returned:
CN=Samwise Gamgee,O=SHIRE
cn=Samwise Gamgee
shortname=SamwiseGamgee
uid=SamwiseGamgee
mail=(Note:  I removed the email address displayed for antispam reasons)
objectclass=top
objectclass=person
objectclass=organizationalPerson
objectclass=inetOrgPerson
objectclass=dominoPerson
givenname=Samwise
sn=Gamgee

I wanted to use SSL.  Read the R5 manual (it's 5.0.10CF1) and did the
following
Open up the Dekko Address book on NOTES01.  Expand Server, under that open
up Servers.
Select GDISYS01 and click on Edit Server.
Ports, Internet Ports, Directory tab
TCP/IP port number:  leave 389
TCP/IP port status:  Redirect to SSL
Name & password:  Yes
Anonymous:  Yes
SSL port number:  Leave 636
SSL port status:  Enabled
Client certificate:  Yes
Name & password:  Yes
Anonymous:  Yes
Replicate the Dekko Address book on NOTES01 back to GDISYS01.
WRKDOMSVR
8=Work console
tell ldap quit
wait until it is down
load ldap
wait until it is up
>From a dos prompt on your pc
cd \Lotus\Notes\Notes6.0      This may vary, depending on your directory
structure
ldapsearch -h GDISYS01 CN=SAMW*
Enter in your Domino password, not master Samwise's.

and I got:
ldap_bind_s( dn=, pw=, method=128 ) failed, error
: resultCode 8 (Strong authentication required)
ldap_bind_s( dn=, pw=, method=128 ) failed, error
: errorMessage: Bind failed: Strong authentication required for ; Must use
SSL

You have attempted to run a second Notes-related program, but will not be
allowed
 to do so because DOS's SHARE.EXE was not loaded prior to running Windows.

Is there some option on the ldapsearch that tells it to use SSL?

Benjamin Franklin