Rob,

Enabling DNS lookup might help.  However, I've always been told not to do
it because it's slow.  Now, it might have been slow on the hardware that
was available when R5 first came out, but not slow now.  I don't really
know.

We have 2 mailx.box files, and our Domino admin cleans them out by hand
about once a day.  But we don't have *nearly* as many junk messages as you
do.  Maybe about 30 at a time.

We're talking about getting a spam filtering appliance that we can throw in
front of our SMTP server to handle spam filtering and also block relaying
(just in case we screw up our config and open ourselves up again).  I would
imagine (hope?) that these things have gotten like virus scanners with
signature files and heuristics and stuff.

Mike E.

                    rob@xxxxxxxxx

                    Sent by:                   To:     Lotus Domino on the
iSeries / AS400 <domino400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    domino400-bounces@xx       cc:

                    drange.com                 Subject:     mail.box filled
with (expletive deleted)

                    06/11/2003 10:58 AM

                    Please respond to

                    Lotus Domino on the

                    iSeries / AS400

We run our SMTP on a separate Domino partition.  We have it configured to
use 4 mailboxes; thus we have a mail1.box, mail2.box, mail3.box and a
mail4.box.  Each of these has over 1,200 messages stacked up in them.  And
we clear them out no less than once a week.

Many of the entries in these files will have a from address, and a to
address that is meaningless to me.  Sample from address:  Eugenie Moorer
<Jinnyuj@xxxxxx>.  Sample to address:  Jinnyuj@xxxxxxx

We are running Domino 5.0.12 on our 840-23EA iSeries running V5R2 of
OS/400.

                            Display System Status GDIHQ
                                                            06/11/03
09:46:31
% CPU used . . . . . . . :       24.8    System ASP . . . . . . . : 2443 G
% DB capability  . . . . :        6.2    % system ASP used  . . . :
89.0798
Elapsed time . . . . . . :   00:00:05    Total aux stg  . . . . . : 2443 G
Jobs in system . . . . . :      77661    Current unprotect used . : 23248
% perm addresses . . . . :       .140    Maximum unprotect  . . . : 23657
% temp addresses . . . . :      1.795

Sys      Pool   Reserved    Max  ----DB-----  --Non-DB---  Act-   Wait-
Act-
Pool    Size M   Size M     Act  Fault Pages  Fault Pages  Wait   Inel
Inel
  1    2373.05    706.19  +++++     .0    .0   19.0  27.3  456.6     .0
.0
  2    6148.23      4.74    818   23.0 395.7   92.1 468.6  13606     .0
.0
  3    1685.12       .21    292    8.1  12.4   31.4  53.1  612.3     .0
.0
  4    4549.26       .01     80    1.2 800.3   13.6  80.4  819.9     .0
.0
  5     244.31       .00     36     .3   1.2    1.7   2.0  217.9     .0
.0

In my Server Configuration document we have "Deny messages from the
following internet hosts to be sent to external internet domains:(* means
all)" set to *.

In the Server Configuration document, in the "Inbound Connection Controls"
section there is a field "Verify connecting hostname in DNS".
Would enabling that stop this junk?
Would enabling that stop valid email?

In the Server Configuration document, in the "Inbound Sender Controls"
section there is a field "Verify Sender's domain in DNS".
Would enabling that stop this junk?
Would enabling that stop valid email?

The problem is this:  I can see valid email in the mailx.box.  However the
junk is slowing down the process to the point in which the valid email is
not distributed to the individuals.  I say again, I send mail from my
yahoo account to my Notes account.  It arrives into the mailx.box and sits
there.

Benjamin Franklin