Domino kept nsd'ing out and this is what we found
sysval QCRTAUT is set to *EXCLUDE.  Thus our lan line was set to *PUBLIC
*EXCLUDE.  Somewhere during the install it tries to do something with the
lan line.  Goes on but isn't quite happy.  Changed user profile QNOTES to
*ALLOBJ and got it to work.

More detailed:

Put system in restricted state.

Initial install

NSD's

Was:
System Pool Max Paging
 Pool Size (M) Active Option
 1 198.69 +++++ *FIXED
 2 1736.16 91 *FIXED
 3 112.88 39 *FIXED
 4 .25 2 *FIXED

Changed to:
System Pool Max Paging
 Pool Size (M) Active Option
 1 198.69 +++++ *FIXED
 2 1736.16 700 *CALC
 3 112.88 39 *CALC
 4 .25 2 *FIXED
sysval qpfradj is set to 2 but doesn't seem to be doing much.

Still NSD's.

Lotus guy also was concerned that we did the upgrade in a restricted
state. Therefore he had me do the following:
Sign off all sessions and make sure the library QNOTES had no locks and
that user QNOTES did not have any active jobs.
End only the subsystem(s) associated with any Domino servers.
DLTLICPGM 5733LD6
Sign off again.
Sign on.
rstlicpgm...

Still NSD's.

granted QNOTES *ALLOBJ. And it worked.

RUNDOMCMD SERVER(XDEK01) CMD(CALL PGM(QNOTES/COMPACT)) BATCH(*NO)
This compacted several of the databases. However some were skipped because
they were in use. Ran the command again when the server was down.

still works.

GRTOBJAUT OBJ(LANLIN) OBJTYPE(*LIND) USER(QNOTES) AUT(*CHANGE)
removed *allobj from qnotes

still works.

Benjamin Franklin