C:\Lotus\Notes\Notes6.0\Data>ftp gdi
Connected to gdi.dekko-1.
220-QTCP at GDI.
220 Connection will close if idle more than 5 minutes.
User (gdi.dekko-1:(none)): rob
331 Enter password.
Password:
230 ROB logged on.
ftp> cd /gdi01/notes/data
250-NAMEFMT set to 1.
250 "/gdi01/notes/data" is current directory.
ftp> bin
200 Representation type is binary IMAGE.
ftp> get mail6.ntf
200 PORT subcommand request successful.
426 Data transfer ended.
ftp>

When I look at my QTFTP#### jobs in QSYSWRK I see the following messages.
TCP3D2C
Message . . . . :   Secure connection error, return code -93.
Cause . . . . . :   Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) function
SSL_Init_Application
  returned code -93:
Value Description
-93   SSL is not available for use.

However I have no problems downloading other files.

I just upgraded to:
Lotus Domino (r) Server (Release 6.0.1 for OS/400) 02/27/2003 17:14:31

Benjamin Franklin