> I suppose that you have to look at clustering not automatically
> replicating databases as a "feature" if you want to maintain a positive
> mental attitude.

LOL!

> Suppose you have your iSeries with lots of databases.  But at your remote
> site you're running some lowly wintel solution.  And there is only a few
> databases at that remote site that you really need clustered over to
> there.  Not automatically putting the databases there frees up disk,
comm,
> and processor.

Wintel disk and processor is cheap, and I don't care how badly the box
performs, as long as it runs.

And say you don't back up your iSeries (we use HA software to replicate
library/file data and programs to another box, but don't use it for IFS
stuff like Domino).  Now, why don't we run Domino on the HA box and
replicate everything over to it?  We do, but we have two problems:

1.  We're running out of disk, and Domino is a good candidate for
sacrifice.
2.  Our primary iSeries and the HA box are on their own separate network
and NOTHING ELSE IS ALLOWED ON IT.  Makes it tough for me to replicate new
files over to it.  And it makes it even tougher to make sure that
replication is keeping everything in sync.

So I can't guarantee that everyone's mail file is being backed up.

> Now, the Akornn software does not do it automatically either upon
creation
> of a new database.  You just set up some steps to run it on a periodic
> basis.

Hey, as long as it replicates new databases *sometime* after they are
created, that's better than what I have now ;-)

> And, yes, you can still get the Akornn software to create the replicas on
> the remote systems even if they are not in the cluster.  It doesn't care
> if the remote server is in the cluster or not.

That is pretty sweet.  Although we might still set up the cluster if it's
not tough to do (failover wouldn't be the worst thing to have), it's nice
to know we don't need to do it.

> What possible problems can Akornn cause?  Just remember to do the steps
in
> this method:
> Run the akornn command to ensure that LocalDomainServers is in the ACL
> TELL CLREPL QUIT  - do this on both the from and to servers
> TELL REPLICA QUIT  - do this on both the from and to servers
> Run the akornn command to create the replica's
> LOAD CLREPL  - do this on both the from and to servers
> LOAD REPLICA  - do this on both the from and to servers
>
> Leaving CLREPL and REPLICA running during the akornn creation of the
> replicas WILL corrupt your data.

Thanks for the heads up!  This has been invaluable.

Mike E.