Bob,

I don't have specific information regarding the use of Domino on the
IASP, although what you are describing is exactly one of the uses for
which this function was intended.

I just wanted to raise the hardware/planning issues.  If you don't
currently have DASD to replicate your databases, it may be more
economical to buy the extra DASD than to implement a switchable iASP.
Below are some considerations, applicable to a V5R1 installation:

- Both iSeries machines will need to have Option 41 of OS/400 installed.
This is the 'High Available Switchable Resources' feature.  It is an
extra-charge feature (P05-$2,085   P10-$4,170 USD).  This is not
required to implement an independent ASP, but it is required to allow
the iASP to be switched between two or more systems.

- The DASD to be switched needs to be in its own storage tower,
connected to both systems in an HSL loop.  All drives in that tower
would be switched between systems.

If you are close to this kind of configuration, then it may make sense
to proceed.  Given the ease with which Domino replicates and switches in
it's own cluster, if you're not close I would try adding some disk.

Some questions:

The 820 has slots for 12 internal drives, have you filled up this
capacity?

Do you already have a storage tower(s) on either system?

What does your current disk configuration look like?

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse

(If you've already done this homework, I apologize for the digression to
your question).