Update is a Domino task that keeps all the view indexes and full text
indexes in a database up to date. As new documents are created or
documents deleted or modified the views, folders and FTI's  need to be
rebuilt but you can configure on a view by view basis how often this
happens.  It can take up a lot of resource if you have large databases
with lots of views set to update 'immediately'.

The good news is you can do loads of customisation in controlling how and
when it runs - take a look at what databases are on your server, how many
documents / views they have and how often indexing is set to run on these
views.  This from the Admin help database explains its role better than I
do..

Update
Update is loaded at server startup by default and runs continually,
checking its work queue for views and folders that require updating. When
a view or folder change is recorded in the queue, Update waits
approximately 15 minutes before updating all view indexes in the database
so that the update can include any other database changes made during the
15-minute period. After updating view indexes in a database, it then
updates all databases that have full-text search indexes set for immediate
or hourly updates.
When Update encounters a corrupted view index or full-text index, it
rebuilds the view index or full-text index in an attempt to correct the
problem. This means it deletes the view index or full-text index and
rebuilds it.

In the past Update/Updall has caused real problems on OS/400 and you might
want to check the support forum on IBM against your version and
circumstances.

Gabriella Davis

The Turtle Partnership

The Turtle Partnership

+44 208 941 6994

+44 208 941 4730

Meeting your real-world business needs with creative, cost-effective and
innovative solutions