Nathan,

To me that's a loaded question with lots of it depends.  To me, you have
already committed so far to Domino.   Granted, Outlook/Exchange is a better
email, calendering, PIM type of setup.  The use of Outlook with Domino on
the backend gives you almost everything that you can do with the MS product
set today.  Despite our usage of Domino I am somewhat ambivelent to the
use.  I still think it is the best thing (OVERALL)....but not without it's
warts.  I moan with some of the email and calendar functionality but I can
live with that.   I sorely want it to have applications that can use
DB2/400 databases without having to jump through hoops...  We do a fair
amount of stuff in the applications arena.  Both for internal and external
usage.  Our Internet/Extranet site is running on Domino on the AS/400.  To
be honest I couldn't tell you if it is a better Web Server than something
else.  Originally, we went with the thought process that most of our apps
were going to be managing content and for collaboration...therefore we
decided to use Domino.  Eventually, if you use the IBM HTTP server you will
have to migrate to the powered by Apache server....nothing against it but
that is the way it's going.

I suppose I'm rambling but just trying to throw out some ideas for you to
think about.  If all you are going to use it for is email and calendering
it will be adequate.  You may be left wanting sometimes but it's ok.  I
think it has to be easier to manage and more flexible than dealing with the
stuff coming out of OS/400.  If you grow beyond that (20,000+ applications
or develop your own) you can come up with some very exciting applications.
One area that we have not done much with but I am very excited about is to
grow our usage of QuickPlace and SameTime.  Cool products with lots of
potential but it will take some paradigms shifting before that proves out I
think.  Personally, I think I see us using a combination of Domino, HTTPA,
and WAS.  Of course depending on what course IBM choses....

Sorry for the dribble....HTH....

Michael Crump
Saint-Gobain Containers
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302
(765)741-7696
(765)741-7012 f
(800)428-8642

mailto:mike.crump@saint-gobain.com

Why should we stick with Domino? I know the new version lets you use
Outlook. That is pretty good. Is it only for mail or can you open databases
as well?