You have found one of the limitations of DECS, the keys have to exist on
the Notes side for updates and deletes.  Another limitation is that the
data is only updated on form open, thus if you have data being kept in
Notes, it is only as fresh as the last time the document was opened.  We
found that the best way to use DECS was to have a form prompt you for a key
(which can be a lookup to a backend DB), then set that key in the form so
that DECS will act on it.

A way to get around some of these issues could be to utilize LEI (Lotus
Enterprise Integrator).  Although it is not free, it may be a better fit
for what you are trying to accomplish.

Thanks,

Dave Guerrero
Team Leader e-Business Solutions
Computech Resources, Inc.
1375 W. Main Avenue
De Pere, WI 54115
Phone:  920-336-1387 Ext. 264
Cell:  920-360-7225
Fax:  920-336-7728

                    "Richard B Baird"
                    <rbaird@esourceconsu        To:     domino400@midrange.com
                    lting.com>                  cc:
                    Sent by:                    Subject:     help with DECS
problems.
                    domino400-admin@midr
                    ange.com

                    09/27/01 10:51 AM
                    Please respond to
                    domino400

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
Hi all,

I'm working on my web based domino ap using DECS to mirror an as/400 file
in
the notes ap.  I'm having several problems though.

Here are a few particulars:  The file I'm working with is a work file
generated and  modified by native as/400 applications - it is fairly
volatile
as far as record adds, updates and deletes.  the notes ap only updates
certain
fields in the file.  The form that DECS monitors only has a few of the
fields
with editing allowed.  the rest are "computed for display".   The DECS
activity is defined as "open, update"

I'm on os/400 V4R4 and R5.0.8.

1.  Records added to the file via native programs do not appear in the
notes
database.
2.  If I "initialize keys" the new records appear in notes, but it adds all
records from the file, even if they already exist. (duplicates).
3.  After I open, change and save a document, the as/400 file is updated,
but
the link to the form from the view is changed to "<blank>".

I could change my application to only allow notes to add records to the
database, but I was under the impression that DECS was two way street, that
if
records are added or changed in the table natively, the new documents would
be
available in notes.

Any ideas?  What am I missing?  any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Richard Baird
rbaird@esourceconsulting.com