  • Subject: Re: How do I enter a host address in the Deny list?
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:17:04 -0500

I understand your frustration.  When I worked for a consultant firm in
Kalamazoo they put an ad in the yellow pages.  You get a lot of home users
this way.  These we politely turned away.  I talked to management about the
foolishness of a yellow page ad.  Their remark was that was how we landed
that major manufacturer in which we assigned 3 employees for a long time.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    tomh@simas.com

                    Sent by:                  To:     DOMINO400@midrange.com

                    owner-domino400@mi        cc:

                    drange.com                Subject:     Re: How do I enter a
host address in the Deny list?

                    05/24/01 05:11 PM

                    Please respond to

                    DOMINO400

You could be right, but then again all we've ever gotten (in 4+ years) is
tons of spam.  Likewise for "*.ru", "*.dk", "*.it", and some South American
yahoos.

   rob@dekko.com
   Sent by:                            To:        DOMINO400@midrange.com
   owner-domino400@midrange.co         cc:
   m                                   Subject:        Re: How do I enter
                               a host address in the Deny list?

   05/24/01 04:42 PM
   Please respond to DOMINO400

You might want to double check with management.  Blocking out a major
player in the pacific rim might be foolhardy for a company whose website
advertises world class software.  It's amazing the countries we're getting
inquiries from.  Perhaps it might be better to deny *.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp
unless of course you market software to international universities.
Perhaps a letter to webmaster@yari.iis.u-tokyo-ac.jp,
majordomo@yari.iis.u-tokyo-ac.jp and whatever the Japanese equivalent is.
Maybe you know a software player in Japan who could help you out with the
netiquette.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    tomh@simas.com
                   Sent by:                  To:     domino400@midrange.com
                   owner-domino400@mi        cc:
                   drange.com                Subject:     How do I enter a
host address in the Deny list?

                    05/24/01 03:04 PM
                   Please respond to
                   DOMINO400

We received some spam mail from "orstrich.IIS.U-TOKYO.AC.JP
<lkghdk@yari.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp>".  I want to enter the host in my "deny"
list - would I enter the host name as "U-TOKYO.AC.JP", or as
"IIS.U-TOKYO.AC.JP", or as "orstrich.IIS.U-TOKYO.AC.JP"?  Since we don't
know ANYONE from Japan, how would I exclude all mail from ".JP", knowing
that such mail will only be spam?

+---