  • Subject: Re: Should one run replicator in a cluster situation?
  • From: michel_meyers@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 08:24:40 +0200

IMHO you should run replication between clustered servers, mainly because
of your out-of-synch concern. In addition to that, the Cluster Replicator
doesn't initialize databases (ie if you request a new replica via adminp it
would never become initialized if there was no 'normal' scheduled
replication)

As for the claim of the software vendor, this seems weird as usually notes
replication is quite aware of which documents are in the database and which
ones aren't. Does it do the file transfer via notes or outside? (read: Does
it bypass the normal replication process)

As for changing the documents, usually you don't need to reboot the
servers. Just to be sure bounce the replicator once you've done the
changes: tell replica quit and then load replica (if you had 4 replicators
running do the load replica thing 4 times)

Hope this helps

Greetings,
           Michel

                    rob@dekko.com

                    Sent by:                  To:     DOMINO400@midrange.com

                    owner-domino400@mi        cc:

                    drange.com                Subject:     Should one run
replicator in a cluster situation?

                    05/03/2001 21:10

                    Please respond to

                    DOMINO400

We have multiple clusters.  I can understand that you would need to run
replication from a server in one cluster to a server in another cluster in
order to sync up databases, (such as the NAB).  However should you have
connection documents to do replication between servers in the same cluster?
One software vendor says no.  I just am concerned in case the clusters are
out of sync.

What fired this off is that this vendor sells a product to copy a database
from one server to another, with an option to make it a replica copy.
Well, if we do a File, Replication, New Replica then we don't have any
problems.  However if we use their software then certain thinks get doubled
up - namely some user folders and lots of sent mail.  They are claiming it
is because replica is kicking in during the large email file initial
replication.

If I change the Connection documents between the two servers in the one
cluster, and disable replication.  Do I have to shutdown the servers for
the changes to take effect?