  • Subject: Re: Help: Mail Server Crashes after 5.0.4 Upgrade
  • From: "Dave Guerrero" <dguerrero@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:42:28 -0500

We have a customer with the same issue.  They were running 5 partitions on
1 AS400 that has around 300mg of memory.  Everything ran fine at R502c.
One thing that Lotus pointed out to us is that with R504, a new INI entry
is automatically put in.  The entry is this:

NSF_Buffer_Pool_Size_MB=300

We believe that as each server starts, it is trying to allocate 300mg of
memory.  With 5 partitions, the customer would need 1.5g of memory just for
Domino.  We are going to play with this setting based on the following
information from Domino Administration Help db.  We haven't tried adjusting
this for the customer so I can't report any results yet.

NSFBufferPool in R5

In Release 5, the NSFBufferPool has no effective size limit, though it is
constrained by operating system limits and, potentially, by the maximum
size of a NOTES.INI variable. NOTES.INI variables cannot be larger than
2GB, since these are signed variables. This is a change from R4.5 and R4.6,
when the NSFBufferPool had a coded limit in Domino.

When a Domino server starts, the server allocates between 1/4 (25%) and 3/8
(37.5%) of the physical RAM on the server to the NSFBufferPool as memory
for Domino. A Notes client allocates memory similarly, but sets a maximum
of 8MB on the NSFBufferPool. Administrators (for the server) and end users
(for the client) can override this default allocation and set the size of
the NSFBufferPool manually by using one of two NOTES.INI variables:
|----------------------+---------+----------------------------------------|
|                      |         |                                        |
| NOTES.INI variable   | Units   | Limit                                  |
|                      |         |                                        |
|----------------------+---------+----------------------------------------|
|                      |         |                                        |
| NSF_Buffer_Pool_Size | Bytes   | 2GB, based on NOTES.INI variable       |
| =x                   |         | limitations                            |
|                      |         |                                        |
|----------------------+---------+----------------------------------------|
|                      |         |                                        |
| NSF_Buffer_Pool_Size | MB      | none; subject to OS limits             |
| _MB=x                |         |                                        |
|                      |         |                                        |
|----------------------+---------+----------------------------------------|

The NSF_Buffer_Pool_Size_MB variable removes the 2GB limitation that exists
for NSF_Buffer_Pool_Size due to NOTES.INI variable limits.

Tuning the NSFBufferPool should not be necessary, except on partitioned
servers. In some cases, Domino does not need all the memory in the
NSFBufferPool, so administrators may wish to experiment with decreasing the
amount of memory in the NSFBufferPool by setting one of the NOTES.INI
variables. This allows the server to use the memory for other purposes.

On partitioned servers, allocating all the memory normally reserved for the
NSFBufferPool could result in problems -- for example, a computer with 6
Domino partioned servers could not allocate 25% of memory to each
partition. Administrators should divide the memory that would be allocated
to a Domino server (from 1/4 to 3/8 of physical RAM) by the number of
partitions and manually set the NSFBufferPool size via a NOTES.INI variable
for each server. Administrators can then modify the setting for each
partition depending on the relative load.

In general, it is best to allow Domino to allocate memory for the
NSFBufferPool. Set the size of the NSFBufferPool only if the server is
running slowly due to inadequate available memory.

Hope this helps...

Thanks,

Dave Guerrero
Team Lead e-Business Solutions
Computech Resources, Inc.

                    JWGrant@pdpgroupin

                    c.COM                     To:     DOMINO400@midrange.com

                    Sent by:                  cc:

                    owner-domino400@mi        Subject:     Help: Mail Server
Crashes after 5.0.4 Upgrade
                    drange.com

                    10/11/2000 07:11

                    PM

                    Please respond to

                    DOMINO400

We just upgraded our AS/400 domino server to 5.0.4 . When trying to
replicate mail to a local mail file from the server,
we get a message "unable to connect" . If we repeatedly try to replicate
eventually the server reponds and replicates.
The AS/400 is running mulitple servers and it appears when we end on of the
other servers (web,Development) the mail
server stabilizes some what.

IBM/Lotus is telling us that there is not enough memory on the box
(9406-170-2291, 832MB Main Storage, 50GB DASD), however
we did not have any problems until we upgraded to 5.0.4.

We are upgrading the box, but we can not wait until the upgrade is
completed to get a stabile mail server.

Has anyone else upgraded to 5.0.4? Any Problems?

When we look at the servers through the ops nav interface the mail server
indicates that it is started (only) not active, but
the server will still replicate and open mail files. IBM/Lotus says that
this is a known bug and there is no fix for it as of yet
on 5.0.4. (the fix is to downgrade the server to 5.02X)

Any comments and/or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance.

Jim Grant
PDP Group

+---