Booth,

You don't say much about the installation other than needing a VPN. If you go external which is what I always do, you could look in two different directions.

1.) PFSense with a Solkris box.. I do many of these with VPN and VoIP NAT setups. It's a great open source project.
http://www.pfsense.org/
http://www.soekris.com/

2.) I have also used the Cisco 871 boxes but be careful that you get the feature packages, they change the options often.

JMS