From: consult400-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:consult400-admin@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Kenneth H. Werner
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 12:12 PM
To: consult400@midrange.com
Cc: alucas@us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [Consult400] iSeries Nation and this list

Janet:

(on my soap box) One of the duties of a CIO or VP/Director of IT is to
select and hire the most qualified staff, internally mentor them for
growth and use external training delivery to advance their skills
(COMMON, IBM Technical Conferences, free on line education such as from
PartnerWorld, IBM Education, academic/continuing courses at local
colleges, from vendors <e.g. JD Edwards, SAP> and many other available
channels). The CIO or VP/Director that fails here  needs to make sure
their resume is up to date. Rather than managers firing employees,
employees fire managers and the lack of education is one reason
employees fire managers. Additionally, any CEO that attends a CEO
Workshops learns to monitor that their CIO/VP/Director is growing the
staff with training and show them what a HP pink slip looks like if they
don't.

(now that it is established that proprietary employees need education,
my soap box goes after consultants) Any consultant that doesn't keep up
-- this might be measured by that they purchase an IBM Education card
every third year (only like $6,000 for a year), or that they attend
COMMON 4 our of 5 times or they are working on a MBA or similar --- is
killing their career and need to seek employment with the security
agency that pays $6.25 per hour to check people at the airport security
point. The opportunity cost of having to take a week off for education
is minor when compared with a lost career. The decision is spending
$6,000 out of pocket and $6,000 missed earnings per year or dropping our
of their career.

I saw an IEEE chart showed an increase of 280 percentage in the number
of unemployed  IT workers between the years 1997 and 2000. Yes, while we
went through Y2K the number of unemployed went up. Prior to 1997 it
looked like the number was stable for years. This increase should wake
up any consultant skipping education.

What can iNation do  ---
1) There was a consultants relations group housed in Canada that
registered consultants could call or e-mail for answers, publications,
etc. Many consultants found it useful. In Lou's cost cutting it went out
of business several years ago. May be an e-mail list that consultants
could post questions to and other could answer.

2) Tell every consultant that they should know the NAME AND PHONE NUMBER
OF THEIR IBM CLIENT REPRESENTATIVE, KNOW WHAT THEY DO and tell
consultants what to do (I believe just have an IBM customer number) to
have a client representative.

3) Suggest that every consultant subscribe to any list of education - I
believe iSeries Magazine and IBM Education Atlanta both have one.

4) Tell consultants what PartnerWorld is and qualification for its
levels of membership.

I will shut up