  • Subject: RE: Hello World
  • From: "Johan Van Erum" <johan.van.erum@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:01:52 +0200

Rolling along with the snow, mid July ...

Hello Janet, are you the same Janet I saw on some As400 tour in Brussels,
Lahulpe 2 or 3 years ago ( doing presentations dto do with RPG ) ?

>>  - Is business starting to pick up now after the Y2K hiatus for anything
other
>>than web related consulting?

Business just goes on, doing a lot of Euro stuff, over here ... no new
software, very scaresly bought upgrades of other new softwares. I was able
to convice one client to use HTTP browsed directories on IFS. That's
something, but not much. So, other than just starting a progam they didn't
knew existed on their As400e, nope ...

>>  - Are consultants truly so bashful that they can't start threads of
>>discussion?

If one always hears that As400e is obsolete, old, passed by ... who wouldn't
feel bashed. There are some really good things about the As400e today, real
neat stuff, but try to convince a just out of university engineer, with a
'MAGIC BOX' ? Others learn work with pc's, I still work with a magix box ...
<rofl, rofl, rofl>. This really wrecked a lot of reputations ...

Besides, I got tired, listening over here consultants complaining to one
another. On comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc, from time to time, you see people
popping up like 'I'm a newbie ...', that's more intersting. Let's
concentrate on those collegues. They might have idea's we don't have ...

Besides, I'm a newbie myself for Java and Websphere and stuff, why would I
even bother come here ?

>>  - IBM claimed they were going to kick off a new X-Treme ad campaign for
the
>>400, has anyone seen signs of it yet?

After having heard about the 'extreme thingie' at the As400e University on
May 22, Brussels, this year, by IBM chief-propaganda ( as he calls himself -
Malcolm something ), I wanted to get some of those Extreme Business
T-shirts, for our Badminton team ( can you imagine ? extreme badminton ...
<g> ).

So I called IBM Belgium, mid June. This resulted in an 'OUT OF DATA ERROR',
nobody knew, nobody heard, big panic, what's it all about, they would
contact me back on the issue ( which they never did ).

Johan Van Erum

Argoo Midrange I.S.
Homepage : http://www.argoo.be
Email : mailto:johan.van.erum@argoo.be