  • Subject: Re: Death of the AS/400 (was Death of the RPG Programmer, List Activity)
  • From: "Phil Kestenbaum" <pike4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 22:32:50 -0700

They keep them, but then of course, they're building a new system that will
integrate everything along with a data warehouse, again of course on a SQL
Server. They have more support personnel, and programmers, but that doesn't
seem to matter. I'm not sure of the breakdowns in this company, I've only
been here 6 months. When I was interviewing 6 months ago, I also heard a
horror story at a well known apparel company about their previous Unix
system crashing all the time, and how happy they are with their heavily
modified apparel package on the AS/400. However, I
originally was interested in any tips that AS/400 people have in learning
something new, simply because, even if there is work, consulting or
full-time, our rates are very low, as compared to the other technologies.
Since I am also involved in recruiting, I noticed, for example, that there
is a shortage of consultants who know Documentum, is this something, that
can be learnt somehow on owns own, or is there something like that?