  • Subject: Re: List activity... /Java
  • From: Tparcel@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue Jun 13 10:54:16 2000

Regarding the Java explosion.......

My current client is a very large, well known, fairly conservative, retail
company (70%Synon rest Cobol & RPG) that is spending big bucks on a pilot
project using Java and the Visual Age IDE. They've had 10 consultants/3
employees(new to JAVA) working for 10 months with implementation due in August.
 So far it appears the company is very excited about the results.  They appear
to be believers in what JAVA can do and there is a good chance they will due a
fair portion of their new interactive processing developement in JAVA.

The learning curve for object orienented dev. as we all know is very high.  An
AS/400 COBOL friend 6 months ago was sent to a week of training and then
started working side by side(same cube) with a very good JAVA consultant as he
worked on his part of the JAVA project.  After 6 months of un-beatable on the
job training my friend says from 1-10(10 being high), he'd  rate himself at
about a 3 in technical proficiency.

It's been difficult, but he hopes he never has to go back to COBOL.  Based on
conversations with my client, they have no interest in hiring consultants that
have only went thru the "Learn JAVA in 21 days" book. They are looking for
people with proven project experience.  The old you can't get experience with
out working and you can't get work without experience.

For what it's worth, my own personal agenda is to continue intensive training
in JAVA/Web dev. hiring an OO guru friend as a mentor during this process,
maybe meeting with him once a week for assistance.  Then I'd offer myself to my
client at considerably reduced rate for 1-2 years.  Since I have the business
knowledge already, this might work.

The 400 will be around for another 20 years, regardless.  As the number of
consultants decrease considerably, the ones that are still expert in doing RPG
and COBOL will probably make pretty good rates.  It's a funny thing, isn't it?

Tim