Does the add-duration function not work on database fields?

Why is the field: A0704-DTDUE-DT appearing in the memory map as AN (alpha) when the compiler KNOWS that it is a date data type? How can I get the compiler to recognize that the field is a date?

V7r1

Thanks!

Database field:

65 +000022 06 A0704-DTDUE-DT PIC X(8).
+000023* DUE DT
+000024* (Date field)

662 044400 move function ADD-DURATION
044500 (A0704-DTdue-dt of CSCDATEr days 5)
044600 to A0704-DTdue-dt of CSCDATEr

* 662 MSGID: LNC2767 SEVERITY: 30 SEQNBR: 044500
Message . . . . : Function argument 'A0704-DTDUE-DT OF CSCDATER' did
not have the correct type for function 'FUNCTION ADD-DURATION'.

*map on compile:

65 06 A0704-DTDUE-DT FS 00000019 8 AN

Here is a map of a date data type in WS:

499 05 WS-DATE WS 00000065 8 DT

Create Bound COBOL Program (CRTBNDCBL)

Type choices, press Enter.

Program . . . . . . . . . . . . > CMP704I Name, *PGMI
Library . . . . . . . . . . . > JSTONE Name, *CURL
Source file . . . . . . . . . . > S Name
Library . . . . . . . . . . . *LIBL Name, *LIBL
Source member . . . . . . . . . *PGM Name, *PGM
Source stream file . . . . . . .

Generation severity level . . . 30 0-30
Text 'description' . . . . . . . *SRCMBRTXT

Additional Parameters

Conversion options . . . . . . . > *DATETIME
+ for more values