A friend of mine working in a COBOL shop recently tried this and solved the problem with a very small callable RPG program.

My experience with COBOL has never been friendly either :-)

Regards,

Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

message: 1
date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 19:08:11 +0000
from: "Stone, Joel" <Joel.Stone@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: [COBOL400-L] how to handle date comparison

In COBOL, what is a good method of comparing a data field date to the current date?

It seems that ALL data fields must be declared to appear with a separator character.

And it sees that the CURRENT-DATE function cannot return a date separator.

Is it mandatory to break apart the current date, and string it back together with a separator?

Surely there must be an easier way to write something like:

If Cust-add-date = ws-curr-date

Where Cust-add-date is type "L" format *MDY

Without breaking apart and rebuilding the current date?

Thanks