Dan:

Do you have the ILE COBOL compiler installed on your system? (You can just prompt the CRTBNDCBL command to find out very quickly.) It is included in 57xx-WDS at no extra charge, so your company is entitled to use them, if you have e.g. the ILE RPG IV compiler installed. If it is not yet installed, I think it would be worthwhile to have someone at your company install it from the original media (DVD) containing the keyed licensed program products (e.g. L2924_01, etc.).

The "big idea" here is to let the COBOL compiler do the "heavy lifting" for you -- since obviously the COBOL compiler knows how to handle FILLER, OCCURS, REDEFINES etc.

So, what you can do is, cut and paste the "file specifications" from your trading partner, into a COBOL source member, for example copying the VERIFY member in QGPL/QCBLSRC, and then compile it with OPTION(*MAP).

Then examine the listing produced, and search for " D a t a D i v i s i o n M a p " -- there you will find a nice columnar presentation of the layout of each record definition.

It should be fairly easy to copy the above compiler listing spool file to a temporary physical file with record length 132, and then write a program that reads the listing, shipping everything until you find " D a t a D i v i s i o n M a p " and then read the records that follow, and from that, you should easily be able to generate DDS or SQL DDL. If you are not yet familiar with SQL DDL, you could also just use DDS, create a physical file, and then use the QSQGNDDL API to retrieve the equivalent SQL DDL for that file.

Hope that helps,

Mark S. Waterbury

> On 5/31/2016 2:10 PM, Dan wrote:
We have a client who supplied us with COBOL record layout specs for a
rather large layout, and I was wondering if anyone has possession of or has
seen a utility that will convert such specs into SQL DDL or PF specs before
I go and invent that wheel.

- Dan