From: cobol400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:cobol400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
MichaelQuigley@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2013 12:47 PM
To: cobol400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [COBOL400-L] *ISO date in COBOL?

Check the compile listing to see if the field is being specified as FORMAT

DATE '@Y-%m-%d'. There could also be an entry under special names which
could throw things off. If the format isn't specified with '@Y-%m-%d', the
compiler will treat the dates using the job default--and you cannot set
DATFMT for a job to *ISO (or *USA for that matter).

You may know this, but internally the dates are not stored in a format we
humans would recognize. They are stored as a 10-digit integer. The system
takes care of converting to whatever format is requested at the time. If
you don't specify one, It will default the the job format. At our shop
that's *MDY--perhaps yours is *YMD. In any case, none of the default job
date formats include the 1st of January 0001. Hence, dates as

early as that will cause a data format mapping error.

If the compile listing shows the year portion of the date as something other
than '%y' (lower-case y), then you've got a different problem. an
upper-case Y with either % or @ will work.