From: cobol400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cobol400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of MichaelQuigley@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2012 7:43 AM
To: cobol400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [COBOL400-L] how to extract the most common date format - YYYYMMDD

Okay WS-DATE is a FORMAT DATE item. Does it have the format specified?
i.e.:

01 WS-DATE FORMAT DATE '@Y%m%d'.

If so, a simple:

move WS-DATE to A0468X-DUE-DATE of AFTR

will do the trick--no need to extract or convert.

You can even specify that all date fields should be treated as though
formatted YYYYMMDD by specifying:

format date '@Y%m%d'.

or

format of date is '@Y%m%d'.

in the ENVIRONMENT DIVISION under the SPECIAL-NAMES paragraph.

You can tell an individual program to handle a date in whatever format you
please. The actual storage of date fields is known as a Scalliger Integer
representing the number of days since January 1, 4713 BC or somewhere very
close to that in a relative sense.

I think your frustration comes from using EXTRACT-DATE-TIME which is for
extracting date-time information--a number of years, months, days, hours,
minutes, or seconds from a date-time field. CONVERT-DATE-TIME is a more
flexible function and is intended for converting doing conversions from
one format to another like you've described. EXTRACT-DATE-TIME can
extract the year, month, and day in one pass, but that's not it's primary
purpose.

Michael Quigley
Computer Services
The Way International