Please note - THIS IS UNTESTED - but syntactically valid <grin>

It may not be quite right but you should be able to see the basic principal in action. You start by dividing by a factor of 2 to shift the bit you want to the least significant position. Division by 2 then pushes that value into the remainder.

computes could probably be used to simplify the process some but I wanted you to see the mechanics of what was happening.

The alternative is to use the same approach but to repetitively divide by 2 to push the bits one by one into the remainder and then store the bit values in an array.

Identification Division. Program-Id. BITSET.
Data Division.
Working-Storage Section.
01 x.
05 bin-value pic 9(4) comp-4 value zero.
05 filler redefines bin-value.
10 filler pic x.
10 char-value pic x.

77 bit-number pic 9.
77 actual-bit pic 9.
77 top-bits pic 9(4).
77 shift-value pic 9(4).
77 left-bits pic 9(4).
77 right-bits pic 9(4).

* this contains the byte that is bit sensitive
77 char-bits pic x.

Procedure Division.
Bit-Play.
move char-bits to char-value.

* Isolate a specific bit
If bit-number < 8
compute shift-value = 2 ** (8 - bit-number)
divide bin-value by shift-value
giving left-bits
remainder right-bits
End-If.
divide left-bits by 2
giving left-bits
remainder actual-bit.

* To set the bit
move 1 to actual-bit.
multiply left-bits by 2 giving bin-value.
add actual-bit to bin-value.

If bit-number < 8
multiply bin-value by shift-value
add right-bits to bin-value
End-If.

Hope this helps - sorry I haven't got time to be sure it works.

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com